VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

New Ao Equity Act

Rate this question

Berta

Question

Promo from Jerrel Cook-Producer SVR

"JERREL COOK -HOST

BERTA SIMMONS CO-HOST

GUEST== U.S. Rep. Bob Filner, D-Calif., Chairman of the House Committee on Veterans Affairs, John Rossie and Carol Oloszanecki the Blue Water Navy

Reps..

HR 2254 - The Agent Orange Equity Act

Clarifies Definition of Viet Nam Veteran

Please send the following editable message to your Representative -- I strongly urge you to co-sponsor and support HR 2254, the Agent Orange Equity Act of 2009, introduced by Rep Filner on May 5, 2009. This legislation would clarify the legal presumption of exposure to Agent Orange for veterans who served in the vicinity of Viet Nam. Currently, 38 US Code Section 1116, defines a Viet Nam veteran as "a veteran who, during active military, naval, or air service, served in the Republic of Vietnam during the period beginning on January 9, 1962, and ending on May 7, 1975." The Department of Veterans Affairs uses a conservative interpretation to mean "boots on the ground" which excludes most Navy and Air Force personnel who have Agent Orange related issues but who can not prove "boots on the ground." HR 2254 would clarify this section by redefining a Viet Nam veteran as one who during active military, naval, or air service (a) served in the Republic of Vietnam (including the inland waterways, ports, and harbors of such Republic, the waters offshore of such Republic, and the airspace above such Republic) during the period January 9, 1962 - May 7, 1975; (B) served in Johnston Island during the period April 1, 1972 - September 30, 1977; or © received the Vietnam Service Medal or the Vietnam Campaign Medal. Again, please co-sponsor and actively support HR 2254.

Read about this billTake Action Now!Enter Your Zip Code:

Live tonight at the Stardust Radio SVR link here at hadit at 6:30 EST, 5:30 CT- we are running an extra half hour tonight This bill has 49 sponsors already and perhaps many AO vets who didnt serve in Vietnam will finally have equitable compensation- if this passes.

Please urge your Congressional Reps to support this bill.

Edited by Berta

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

Carlie- we had an enoumous audience last night and I was happy to hear Congressman Filner say he would NOT let this issue die------and he means that-----

The Push is on- anyone affected by HR 2254 and anyone who cares about Equity for our Nation's Agent Orange disabled veterans-hopefully will ask their Congressional Representatives to support this bill-

I discussed the mention of the Pacific briefly with JR before I mentioned this to Congressman Filner-I meant anywhere the 7th Fleet was -in the Pacific during the War.(not up to the shore of San Francisco- but a definition within reason-)

That still doesn't define this well but "offshore" (*)to me can be a lot of real estate-or can become again a limiting criteria- lots to think about with all this -

* AO Equity Act Sec 2, under (A)

Recent medical testimony in Hanoi-in my opinion-supports the auto immune affects of dioxin that

Kelley and others mentioned-so this issue is far from over and as of last night there are now 55 sponsors for HR 2254.

Some of the finest AO advocates we have were on this show- John Rossie BWN, Kelley, Kurt Priessman, Sue Belanger and Carol and there is a big list of many more unsung AO advocates out there doing all they can for this issue.

Congressman Filner wont let the Equity Act die but vets are dying every day from the ravishes of dioxin.We dont have much time to make a difference on this one.

Did anyone have an opinion on when I asked Congressman Filner about his term "trans-shipment of Agent Orange"?

That too would need to be clarified in the bill but that alone could sure broaden the scope of where the AO was used.

Kurt proven he was exposed to AO in Thailand as he has documents from DOD showing military bases in Thailand were sprayed with AO and his MOS put him directly on the base perimeters.

"Trans-shipment " to me means that Thailand (among other places in SE Asia was crossed over by air and/or by land with the AO barrels.

Makes sense to me therefore that many many vets were exposed to AO during processing of this 'trans-shipment'.