VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

How To Make A Sc Va Disability P&t

Rate this question

dlc1985

Question

I was recently granted 100% SC before the award, I previously had a rating of 40%SC. since my 100% is based on PTSD how do I go about making it P&T. I still have outstanding appeals pending on the (40%). Any advise would be appreciated.

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I am assuming you got some retro on this- have you considered getting an independent medical opinion from a psychiatrist that states your condition is permanent and total and that gives the VA some strong medical rationale for that?

The investment for this type of opinion -if the medical evidence warrants P & T- would come back as excellent CHAMPVA benefits as well as CHapter 35 for your dependents-that alone is well worth the price of an IMO.

Did VA Make any statement as to why they did not award you P & T status?

• HadIt.com Elder

If you were denied chapter 35 then appeal that denial. Like Berta says you should get an IMO to state your PTSD is permanent and total.

There is a real possibility you ARE P and T. Your decision does not always say that, sometimes it says no exams are scheduled..OR, if you get commissary priveleges, and the like, then you are P and T.

Did your docs say you are p and T?

Edited by broncovet

Purple -you are right! Thanks for making that point--sometimes a VA doc will make this statement and add it to the record for the veteran. But many might be reluctant to do that.Then again a treating doctor might well state P & T when they see the vet has been awarded 100%.

And this sure would stave off a costly IMO fee.

Since PTSD has no known bonafide "cure" and often is medicated with meds that have strong side affects that hinder employment -you would think any 100% PTSD vet would be declared Permanent and Total.

Or any vet with any other 100 % SC mental disorder.

• HadIt.com Elder

Berta, thank you for responding to Purple's words. I don't get to read all the posts here and was about to jump over this one. One of my VA doc's has told me that I will always be in 'recovery', to me that sounds permanent. My next appointment is soon and I will double check - doc talks to me about what they're typing in while I am there. Who knows?

Thanks again for the post, one never knows until one tries!

Cg'up2009!

Purple -you are right! Thanks for making that point--sometimes a VA doc will make this statement and add it to the record for the veteran. But many might be reluctant to do that.Then again a treating doctor might well state P & T when they see the vet has been awarded 100%.

And this sure would stave off a costly IMO fee.

Since PTSD has no known bonafide "cure" and often is medicated with meds that have strong side affects that hinder employment -you would think any 100% PTSD vet would be declared Permanent and Total.

Or any vet with any other 100 % SC mental disorder.