VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C&p Exam Advice

Rate this question

*Bergie*

Question

I have read quite a large number of posts from everyone regarding horror stories at c&p exams, especially PTSD exams. I know first hand as I was told during my exam for a NOD that I "have not played the game long enough" and that "I needed to wait a few years, then I'll get it". Anyway, I just thought of this, maybe someone else has mentioned it I don't know. I think that everytime we have these exams we should bring a small tape recorder and record the BS, don't mention the recorder until after the exam and see how their attitude changes. This would sure turn heads if the public could see what we go through. Another sad misconseption, the doctors at the VAMC and clinics sure don't have a clue with regard to the c&p doc's and the VARO. Ok I'm through venting, thanks for listening!!!

Have a nice day,

Bergie

• Answers 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Jim,

In my area c&p's are done at the VA hosptial..

Making a recording is one thing, the recording being used to help a case is the impossible part. VA court is a federal court. State laws allowing a taped conversation without consent are meaningless and the VA court rules would apply...

Ok,

Than just don't mention the recorder or have your spouce do the recording when she accompanies you. That way you can claim she did it not the "veteran". It's kind of funny, seems like they have something they are trying to hide? LOL?

Bergie

Yeah they do have something to hide.. patient privacy.

you have to realize that a compensation claim is a legal action. The VA is gathering evidence to decide a claim, just as the veteran is trying to gather evidence to support the claim.

I tried being slick and recording a meeting with landlady and durned recorder started Beeping DOH! :D

I'd ask if recording was okay at the beginning, since nothing on it is usable if not.

In Oregon you can tape a phone call, but Both parties must be aware of in-person recordings.

When I was a consultant I used to take a tape recorder and throw it on the desk for every meeting. I dealt with clients who tried to play games after the contract was negotiated. And I would follow up in writing with what was discussed..

The intent was to keep everyone inline with what exactly was agreed apon, not to trick people.

Hidden tape recorders have very little value in civil cases.. if anything they show you were acting in bad faith, because your intent was to build a case and not mitigate damages. Generally you do better by doing everything in writing, and forcing your other parties to do it in writing. I know this is not always possible, but dealing with landlords you should always do everything in writing, that is all that counts. And if they are stupid enough not to respond, then it looks bad on them..

When I was a consultant I used to take a tape recorder and throw it on the desk for every meeting. I dealt with clients who tried to play games after the contract was negotiated. And I would follow up in writing with what was discussed..

The intent was to keep everyone inline with what exactly was agreed apon, not to trick people.

Hidden tape recorders have very little value in civil cases.. if anything they show you were acting in bad faith, because your intent was to build a case and not mitigate damages. Generally you do better by doing everything in writing, and forcing your other parties to do it in writing. I know this is not always possible, but dealing with landlords you should always do everything in writing, that is all that counts. And if they are stupid enough not to respond, then it looks bad on them..

We are not talking about land lords and consulting or legal or not. What I was talking about is the inconsistancies the c&p examiners do. The nasty comments, the disrespectful treatment ect.!!! The idea of a tape recorder was meant to deal with these kind of things "PERIOD". I have experienced it and many, many other vets have and continue to experience it everytime we ask these people to "do thier job". They thank you for your service then slap you in the face for applying for comp. All I'm saying is if the public or congress knew how we are treated during these c&p exams maybe there would be some change!!!

Regards,

Bergie

We are not talking about land lords and consulting or legal or not. What I was talking about is the inconsistancies the c&p examiners do. The nasty comments, the disrespectful treatment ect.!!! The idea of a tape recorder was meant to deal with these kind of things "PERIOD". I have experienced it and many, many other vets have and continue to experience it everytime we ask these people to "do thier job". They thank you for your service then slap you in the face for applying for comp. All I'm saying is if the public or congress knew how we are treated during these c&p exams maybe there would be some change!!!

Regards,

Bergie

I was more repsonding to the the other posts.. But I agree if you were allowed to just put a tape recorder on the desk in a C&P exam it would work.. Fact is you can't, and a hidden tape recorder would not achieve what you want.

But what will help is taking someone with you to your c&p exams. One time my wife could not go with me, and yes the guy was a jerk. Life goes on.

In all of my dealings with the VA, no matter how much of jerk they are, I am always nice to them. Always. I don't argue, I don't get mad. If I have an isssue I simply go above the person.