VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Thank You All For Your Help

Rate this question

mrsvet28

Question

Thanks for all your help everyone, spoke to mortgage company today and she said because we havent used credit cards and we always paid cash for things or we did without, there is no score-she suggested getting a gas card first - but it will still take 6 months for it to be good credit- on a report-you would think if you didnt have any debts you would be in a good rating!!! But nothing is ever easy for us ever!! Thanks again for all your help Mrs Vet-we just gotta applyfor the gas card and wait I guess-but in 6 months everything could change again--- B)

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder
Thanks for all your help everyone, spoke to mortgage company today and she said because we havent used credit cards and we always paid cash for things or we did without, there is no score-she suggested getting a gas card first - but it will still take 6 months for it to be good credit- on a report-you would think if you didnt have any debts you would be in a good rating!!! But nothing is ever easy for us ever!! Thanks again for all your help Mrs Vet-we just gotta applyfor the gas card and wait I guess-but in 6 months everything could change again--- B)

Something I remember from a long time ago and I don't know if it still applies....

When you get your credit card, do not pay it off completely every month. According to what I remember, if you pay it off every month than you are not racking up credit points on how well you pay a credit card.

I know that is stupid just like paying cash and not in debt you are a credit nonperson, but that is how someone told me.

If it were me, I would charge some stuff, make the minimum payment but set the rest of the amount aside so you don't get bogged down with owing credit, thus if you get your home loan you can pay off the credit card and go back to paying cash. Your mortgage then becomes your "credit" indicator.

They get you coming and going that's for sure.

Good luck,

fanaticbooks

• HadIt.com Elder

I have told my kids but the best way to build credit in a hurry is to go to sears and pick out a tv or other appliance a nice couch or something that costs a few hundred bucks. Car tired if you need them. Anyway pay cash for half and ask for easy pay plan. If you pay 50% down sears will never deny you cause that is their usual markup. Pay on time and in a few months you will have pretty good credit.

What about VA Loan for mortgage?

• HadIt.com Elder

Pete I agree when Dori and I met we both had really bad credit from previous marriages and things that went out of control for both of us. We worked together and slowly rebuilt the credit we went to Friedmans bought a 5 or 600 dollar ring put down 300 and financed the other after 3 months we then applied for a credit card it was approved for a 250 dollar limit within 2 years we had 2 credit cards with 2500 limits we bought our home because our credit scores were inthe high 600 680-690 and hers was in the 720s now we are throwing away credit card offers and other normal junk offers credit can be rebuilt easily these days just because everyone is in such bad shape 20 years ago people like me would never have been given a chance at rebuilding a credit life but this depression like economy has changed it I am proud of what we have accomplished in the past 7 years when we started we couldn't finance a piece of bubble gum now we live in a 250,000 dollar house and drive a 2008 Chrysler we feel like we hit the lottery

rebuilding your credit can be done it just takes a few months and proper handling

WOW, don't know how you do it living on VA's fixed income.

That would be impossible for me even with my credit score at 720 (experian).

Jay

I am proud of what we have accomplished in the past 7 years when we started we couldn't finance a piece of bubble gum now we live in a 250,000 dollar house and drive a 2008 Chrysler we feel like we hit the lottery

rebuilding your credit can be done it just takes a few months and proper handling

• HadIt.com Elder

I also get SSD not just the VA compensation my house payment is 1163 a month less than 25% of my income which used to be considered a "normal house payment" back in the old days now adays I think the bank accepts housing costs at 50% which is to high in my opinion people still have to eat, insurance, clothes unexpected stuff, grand kids birthdays etc vacations I used my back pay in 2006 and made a large down payment we didn't have a party and spend it all we bought a home and in this state the property is tax free as long as the house is on one acre or less....

http://aol001.cyberhomes.com/homes-westcol...dr/2118555.aspx

If you click on the picture on the right side of the page you can move it around and see the area the area called Shadblow is around the lake 2 streets to the right we are about 5 minutes from the Columbia Airport and 10 minutes to USC there are a lot of college professors and state elected officials and buisness owners in this neighborhood we bought the house and had to put in new floors, expanded the kitchen painted the entire home, it was a mess and we paid 168,000 I don't pay any attention to what AOL homes states what the property value is because no one has sold a home in this area in 2 years or more except one new home that was built about 6 months ago and sold for 249,000 and it has 400 less sq feet than we do and no pool and no enclosed porch nor the 600 sq foot pool house......we don't travel so we bought us a nice "cave" for me to hunker down in buy a fixer upper and you also can put sweat equity into a home with a lot of work....it doesn't all have to be cash

Edited by Testvet

I had the same problem, however, I did finance my cars but no credit cards, I had to get credit ie home depot and a visa make payments for 3-6 months and my score jumped tremedously in the 700's. I haven't check in awhile so I am not sure what it is now. I had a home mortgage and wanted to refi, never late on my mortgage in 15 yrs but still had a hard time refi without the credit score.

Home depot reports your payments immediately which is good, get something on 12 months interest free they still report it as paid on time even if you haven't made a payment.

Good Luck