VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Voc Rehab Ideas

Rate this question

Pablo22

Question

I was recently approved for Voc Rehab and attended the initial "class" at the VARO in San Diego. I applied for TDIU 6 months ago in addition to currently being evaluated for TBI (Had 3 of 4 exams - 4th is on Tuesday) - already diagnosed at VA, just doing the QTC thing now. I went to night school for ten years on Active Duty and was set to grad with my Bachelors Degree when I left to Iraq (had to drop last two classes). When I came home I enrolled in the last two classes and just couldn't complete the classes - had not yet been diagnosed w PTSD so I didn't know what was wrong, just knew Somthing was wrong and dropped out. I just got my degree completion review from the college and luckily they are using the same catalog - I still only need two more classes to get my Bachelors Degree in Poli Sci.

Here's my question: I would like to get training in Radiology or some other "skill" that could get me a job once I finish training. Getting my degree is important, but it's not like I'm going to graduate and get a job as a "Political Scientist." It would seem to me that Voc Rehab would better serve the Vet by having different career paths for us to choose training in along with job placement in a Federal Job once complete - almost like when you go in the Military. Probably asking too much, but at the end of the day, that's what I keep being told that Voc Rehab is for.

So my big question is, are there certain careers/fields that Voc Rehab has been more successful in getting Vets trained and placed in jobs. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Edited by Pablo22

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

So there really are no ideas? Nobody has thought to put into place a program that would provide training AND job placement for disabled vets? Can anyone even tell me what are the "popular" or more common training and or schools that people in the Voc Rehab program go into?

I don't think there is any specific area, the basis for the training is for the veteran to find a job that does not make their disabilities worse, whatver that my be from being a barber to more educational training it depends on your aptitude from the test you took and your goals. hope this helps good luck.

I went through the Houston RO... you have to do research in several fields that interest you (according to their test) and prove that there is expected growth in the field that you want to pursue.....they (Houston) really were encouraging of medical professions and accounting. With your choices you also have to consider your physical ability to perform the work successfully with your disabilities.

Hope this was helpful.