VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Confused

Rate this question

navydoc2

Question

I have a been ten percent right knee service connected and 30% secondary depression for about 3 years. I applied for increased depression and bilateral hearing loss with tinnitis in Feb. The VA sent me IU paperwork I guess since I have been unemployed now for over a year. My previous employer refuses to fill out the paperwork the VA requires only writing an employment verification on their own letterhead and telling me anymore information is a violation of the privacy act even though i've signed a release of information both for them and with the VA. I called my DAV service officer and finally got through yesterday and he told me that it looked like there was a decision made on my tinnitis and it was rated at 10%, he claimed he could not get to the other screens and see what was going on with my other pending claims. Now comes the confusing part, I called the 1-800 number today and the rep tells me there is no decision on any of my claims and that they are still waiting for evidence. I sent the employment verification my former job gave me in yesterday so that should be all the evidence they need i guess.

My questions are has this happened to anyone else here?

Does the VA issue decisions separately and if there is no decision made why would the service officer tell me there was. If they decided the tinnitis why not the hearing loss?

Should I wait until I hear from the VA in writing or should I call my service officer back and tell him what they told me?

Finally, what can I expect to happen next on this long winding road?

thanks for your help in advance.

William (navydoc2)

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Did you submit an Iris inquiry to the VA? Explain what claims you have submitted and ask for current status, specifics, etc. Ask if there is anything else the VA needs to complete your claim(s).

What do your medical records state towards you being 'unemployed'? If there is a clear medical condition that helps.

Myself, I got SSDI due to a serious chronic medical issue and I was unemployed for years. So somehow the ssdi saw me as 'unemployable'. I am currently working on IU, so we'll see if I learn anything new.

Best to ya,

Cg'up2009!

I have a been ten percent right knee service connected and 30% secondary depression for about 3 years. I applied for increased depression and bilateral hearing loss with tinnitis in Feb. The VA sent me IU paperwork I guess since I have been unemployed now for over a year. My previous employer refuses to fill out the paperwork the VA requires only writing an employment verification on their own letterhead and telling me anymore information is a violation of the privacy act even though i've signed a release of information both for them and with the VA. I called my DAV service officer and finally got through yesterday and he told me that it looked like there was a decision made on my tinnitis and it was rated at 10%, he claimed he could not get to the other screens and see what was going on with my other pending claims. Now comes the confusing part, I called the 1-800 number today and the rep tells me there is no decision on any of my claims and that they are still waiting for evidence. I sent the employment verification my former job gave me in yesterday so that should be all the evidence they need i guess.

My questions are has this happened to anyone else here?

Does the VA issue decisions separately and if there is no decision made why would the service officer tell me there was. If they decided the tinnitis why not the hearing loss?

Should I wait until I hear from the VA in writing or should I call my service officer back and tell him what they told me?

Finally, what can I expect to happen next on this long winding road?

thanks for your help in advance.

William (navydoc2)

Edited by cowgirl

• HadIt.com Elder

Many Companies have a policy about giving any information other than that they are employed. Lawsuits and VA will bot get it from them either.

Have you applied or gotten Social Security. Even if you have not request an earnings statement from Social Security and present it to VA. They could get it they check for Vets who are double dipping why not help Veterans with their claims?

Good Luck

Talk to your Service Officer and see what they say

Many Companies have a policy about giving any information other than that they are employed. Lawsuits and VA will bot get it from them either.

Have you applied or gotten Social Security. Even if you have not request an earnings statement from Social Security and present it to VA. They could get it they check for Vets who are double dipping why not help Veterans with their claims?

Good Luck

Talk to your Service Officer and see what they say

I have not applied for Social Security to be honest I was not aware of IU until they sent me the paperwork.

Did you submit an Iris inquiry to the VA? Explain what claims you have submitted and ask for current status, specifics, etc. Ask if there is anything else the VA needs to complete your claim(s).

What do your medical records state towards you being 'unemployed'? If there is a clear medical condition that helps.

Myself, I got SSDI due to a serious chronic medical issue and I was unemployed for years. So somehow the ssdi saw me as 'unemployable'. I am currently working on IU, so we'll see if I learn anything new.

Best to ya,

Cg'up2009!

Thanks please keep me updated. I lost my job due to worsening depression, I was on wellbutrin and that didn't work and it took over a year for my VA psych doc to change me to something else rather than just upping the dose now i'm on abilify and celexa and that seems to have helped for the time being anyway I still have my ups and downs but don't we all (lol).