VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

What Kind Of Advice Do You Get When Suicidal?

Rate this topic

Just curious how the advice differs from VA to VA (and civilian tdocs/pdocs as well). When you mention that you are suicidal or even have a plan...what do they say?

The new tdoc (therapist) I'm seeing at Dayton now is a "suicide prevention therapist"....yet she won't use the scary "S" word..... :unsure: . Today I asked her what I can do when I keep getting these suicidal thoughts (with a plan) in my head. Her response? "Think of something else"

LMAO!!! Wow.......gee, why didn't I think of that many, many years ago and life would just be so much easier.....(sarcasm)...is she truly out of her mind???

Anyone else? I truly hope that if anyone else needs this kind of advice, that they are getting good help.

Edited by Pete53

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

If you have a plan they have a room for you. If you do have a plan then you need to be inside. Suicidal ideation is one thing, but having a plan is something else. Same with homocidal ideation and having a plan to kill someone. Big difference.

They don't seem to mind that I have a plan. I've told them what it is. And they also know that I have the means at home to carry it out. I'm not saying this as an immediate threat....just letting folks know how dense the mental health folks are at Dayton...and hoping other's have better tdocs/pdocs than I.

• HadIt.com Elder

Purple

Do you have any other insurance that would pay for in-patient stay at a mental ward for a few days? The VA is negligent. If you want to go in as an in-patient go to your congressman's office and tell you are so depressed you want to kill yourself, and you don't trust yourself to drive get home. I bet you are admitted that day. Let the waterworks flow! The VA is being negligent and they need to be spanked.

Nope....no other insurance. And I'm sure the VA wouldn't pay for it.

Now you (not you personally) but the collective members here know why I'm making such a big deal out of getting turned away at the walk-in mental health clinic.

Today I think I'm ok. But that can change at a moments notice....and that's what I told them. I just get the deer in the headlights look.

Thanks john....It helps to talk to someone who isn't scared to talk about it.

• HadIt.com Elder

If someone really wants to commit suicide than they usually will do it. However, when someone who has kids and loves them I remind them that if they commit suicide than it will be likely that their kids will do it also.

I try to get people to promise to see someone first and talk about it. And I try to remind that no batter how bad life sucks at this particular m0ment that things will change and suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem.

Think about it how many times have you felt suicidal and than felt a lot better after some time had passed.

You owe it to family and friends not to do that.