VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

What Kind Of Advice Do You Get When Suicidal?

Rate this topic

• Founder

when i first started going to the va in the early 90's, if it came up, they would check me in to the mental ward, which i know was the safest place for me to be. i remember i had to get through the suicidal thoughts before i could see a therapist, couldn't have therapy until i was emotionally stable and staff, made sense to me.

i'm afraid for me when suicidal thoughts plagued me the only thing that worked for me is going into the hospital and getting stabilized.

seems like not a particularly helpful thing for your therapist to say.

Just curious how the advice differs from VA to VA (and civilian tdocs/pdocs as well). When you mention that you are suicidal or even have a plan...what do they say?

The new tdoc (therapist) I'm seeing at Dayton now is a "suicide prevention therapist"....yet she won't use the scary "S" word..... <_< . Today I asked her what I can do when I keep getting these suicidal thoughts (with a plan) in my head. Her response? "Think of something else"

LMAO!!! Wow.......gee, why didn't I think of that many, many years ago and life would just be so much easier.....(sarcasm)...is she truly out of her mind???

Anyone else? I truly hope that if anyone else needs this kind of advice, that they are getting good help.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very sorry to hear about your brother-in-law.

Purple

The biggest problem w/suicide you leave behind many issues incomplete. You have the out but not the love ones you leave behind ,they have the problem of having to clean up your loose ends. Your Family is left waking your body, burial and then hopefully your insurance will cover suicide, if not who will pick up your tab and can they afford it? You took the easy way out and left all the hard decisions to your family & friends. I lost my wife in Jan/09 and was very depressed, however life must go on and I’m sure she would want it that way.Good Luck w/your life

Later...

• HadIt.com Elder

Sgt White:

Sorry for your loss. I have lost 7 close family or friends in a little over 3 months. My wife is heart broken over the loss of her sister a little over a month ago.I get sad over it but I accept the fact that I have no control over what happens to me. I can only control how I react to it. I have chosen to try and support my wife in her grief and others affected by the loss. No one can really understand how anyone else feels.

Depression is very difficult to have but I think harder for the family and friends to deal with.

Maybe talking about it helps at least I think it does for many.

If anyone on Hadit is thinking about suicide please ask for help. Our lives affect many more than we know.We lose far to many to disease and illness as it is now.

God loves us all and I love all who post on Hadit.

You know I was just sitting here, thinking about a my Mental Health Visit

Each day, they ask about suicide, they are concerned about guns I sleep with

I don't have aplan, and would not use Guns. Who going clean up the mess, not me I would be gone

A question they should ask, if you were going to Kill yourself, how would you do it

I know I would use medication, just go to sleep for the last time, and it would be over

With this being said, they ask me about suicide, and then always give more and more drugs

Get my point!!!???

SgtJWhite-

Thank You.

sgmdae-you are correct...the VA knows what my method would be, yet they continue to provide me with large amounts of meds...even the pharmacy asks me if i would like 90-day supplies of my meds vs a 30-day supply. they are so clueless. but i'm doing a little better now, comes & goes.

Purple, it doesn't make sense to me,

I am new this, and now admit to a problem

Each time I go to appt, I feel a little more depressed

Everyone is focus on the rating, and not the issue of my tours of RVN and PTSD

Now there trying find way a stray away from PTSD, and give a DX of Bi-Polar

Treat me for the wrong things, and I will get no help