VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

What Kind Of Advice Do You Get When Suicidal?

Rate this topic

When and if I talk about it, they want to lock you up. I feel safer talking to the guy here at Hadit.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just curious how the advice differs from VA to VA (and civilian tdocs/pdocs as well). When you mention that you are suicidal or even have a plan...what do they say?

The new tdoc (therapist) I'm seeing at Dayton now is a "suicide prevention therapist"....yet she won't use the scary "S" word..... :angry: . Today I asked her what I can do when I keep getting these suicidal thoughts (with a plan) in my head. Her response? "Think of something else"

LMAO!!! Wow.......gee, why didn't I think of that many, many years ago and life would just be so much easier.....(sarcasm)...is she truly out of her mind???

Anyone else? I truly hope that if anyone else needs this kind of advice, that they are getting good help.

That's a better answer than I got, I was at a PTSD exam were they examiner asked me do you have suicidal thoughts? I said yes all the time and his reply was , "Well why don't you just do it?" I said what? The way he said it was as if he was encouraging me to commit suicide (without a doubt). I said well thanks for the vote of confidence Doc. He says well I mean, I didn't mean it that way I said yeah right and moved on to the next question....give me a GAF of 41and he also gave me a GAF of 63 for depression on my back and he thought my problems could be from PTSD but I was missing certain symptoms so more than likely I had a Border Line Disoder,lol what an A-hole.. Almost screwed me on this one but his Q were wierd..What I mean to say is I feel your pain for sure....YOG

Edited by yoggie2

Purple, hand in there, I need you to be on this forum to help me with

my PTSD, and thought of suicide. you have good input, and I watch your post.

I am relutant to tell of mu suicidal thoughts. That because of my exterior,

not letting the true feeling being exposed.

The VAMC Clinic help me with my PTSD, and thought of suicide. Good luck and keep with the counselling.....................Always ask for help when you need it.

Very sorry to hear about your brother-in-law.

Thanks purple!

I think that some of the doctors are so used to hearing patients say what they feel that they become immuned to hearing the words. Then when not taken seriously... a certain percentage do go on to commit sucide.

I encourage everyone who is so desperate that sucide is an option to seek help from civilian doctor if need be. Life isn't easy for most of on here, harder for some, easier for others, but I know that there are a lot of good people on this forum who really do understand to a better degree than most, and want to help!

My brother-in-law couldn't get His medication ajusted to the point that He wasn't so delusioned anymore.

It is a extremely perminate solution to a problem that might have been corrected with the correct doctor and medication, and therapy.

Hang in there...

Boondoc

If someone really wants to commit suicide than they usually will do it. However, when someone who has kids and loves them I remind them that if they commit suicide than it will be likely that their kids will do it also.

I try to get people to promise to see someone first and talk about it. And I try to remind that no batter how bad life sucks at this particular m0ment that things will change and suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem.

Think about it how many times have you felt suicidal and than felt a lot better after some time had passed.

You owe it to family and friends not to do that.

Here, Here!

Boondoc