VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

After Seven Years - R1

Rate this question

sixthscents

Question

Many of you know me, and know that I have been in the VA system since 2002. Today I recieved, for the first time ever a call from my actual rater. They agreed with my latest claim, and increased my SMC to R1. I have been arguing this one for about 2 years, but it was for all the marbles really.

The rater was really nice, and explained why they were rating me (of course, I knew why since I know CFR 38 and the results of all the C&P exams but I let him say why since he seemed to really want to explain). Anyway, the only higher benefit is R2 and I feel that I just dont qualify for it.

Anyway, I wanted all of you to know... dont ever quit, don't ever give up. If you feel you deserve a particular benefit, and the medical and regulatory evidence support you - dont ever ever quit. Make sure you have all your ducks in a row, and you will win. Most importantly READ - read CFR 38, read M21-1MR, and read the postings here. Take notes, ask opinions, and file. Then just dont quit until you are satisfied that the result is fair.

My claim for R1 took 2 years, and there's quite a bit in back pay coming. Yet this is money that I have already paid out myself for CNA's in home, etc. It's fair and it will probably be the last claim I file on my own behalf (since there's only R2, and I just dont feel right asking for that). From a rating of 40% to over 200% schedular, and SMC of R1 - seven years of my life. All I can say is never quit, never surrender, never give up.

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Good job Sixthscents. Congratulations and thanks for sharing your story. I'm 90% schedular (130% VA math), and have struggled to hit that last 10% for 100 schedular. I'll dig into the books and get smarter.

Cavtrooper088

• HadIt.com Elder

Awesome Job Bob. You hung in there like a real trooper and did not let them sway you in either direction.

Enjoy your victory.

John

• HadIt.com Elder

congrats I know exactly how you feel I just got the SMC S paperwork after 7 years a lot of SOs told me to give up and quit years ago and I refused I would get a denial and I would NOD it, they would deny it again I would get another IMO and other plans of attack they win when we quit, so obviously don't quit I agree

I am happy with

100% P&T PTSD

60% CAD

10% hypertension all equals SMC S or housebound take your pick

the last fight we have is the effective date I filed in Nov 2002 they say the effective is Dec 2003 I want the other year to count towards the DIC time for my wife need 10 years also the 100% for Nov 2002 to dec 2003 is 13 months what about 25,000? it all adds up....I am using the letter I sent to Sec Principi dated 22 Nov 2002 as an informal claim date, he had the Manager of the Montgomery Alabamo RO send me a letter telling me I didn't have a claim in the system yet? Duh, the AL SO was slow it took him from Oct 20 to Dec 20 to file it in Augusta GA I lived in Hopkins SC why have the RO in Alabama reply to me, it's not my fault they messed it up, but my letter spelled out all of my medical issues and the fact I was seeking a compensation claim for all of them, they don't want to acknowledge the letter to him as a claim. I have time and they have the money rofl

I agree being tenacious counts.....I am glad you are satisfied I am too, it's just the point, after 7 years I want it all, to settle for less makes me feel cheap........lol

• HadIt.com Elder

x

x

x

Congratulations! And thank you for your service, and thanks for being a level-headed Moderator with a good deal of common sense, and for believing in yourself and what is right and fair. Hope this helps you to live a better life, you deserve it. ~Wings