VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Need Good And Cheap Anti Virus Combo

c&p man

For what it is worth...I have my own computer business, and frankly...AVG Free makes me a fair amount of money. The majority of my customers that come in with virus problems, have AVG Free. The AVG website even tells you what the Free version covers. In my humble opinion, you get what you pay for. I am not disagreeing with anyone, or trying to scare anyone. Just what I see on a daily basis. The Big Three, Norton, McAffe, and Trend Micro are true resouce hogs. These guys will pig out your system and rob it of performance. We sell Kaspersky to all of our customers. We are a direct reseller of Kaspersky products. They have just begun letting us offer Kaspersky for three computers with a two year subscription for $49.95. I think that is the best deal on the market.

All that being said, no matter what virus protection you have, it's only as good as the PC user. They are not bullet proof by any means.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used AVG for quite awhile but for the last 3 years I have been using Threatfire,and have no complaints about it. Have never gotten a virus while using it,but could be I was just lucky,who knows. I am far from a computer expert,but you may want to give it a try.

Also it is the free version.

• 3 weeks later...

I would recommend Nortons 360 although it runs around I think 60.00 + it is a proven tool most businesses use it and

you get discounts as a yearly subscriber one good thing about 360 is it does allow a novice to do advanced things such

as registry clean etc (which is one of the most causes of poor pc performance) also with your subscription if you are

family man you can install and use nortons to three computers via one subscription. When comparing price to what ifs

it is best to go the safe route as reformatting or using restoration procedures can take the average user a day or two

of reinstalls configurations etc (depending on what you have installed in addition to MS products) also all the updates

restarts can be nerve racking.

The term free always sounds good at face value but one should be skeptical and cautious.

• 3 weeks later...

I have two options to fix virus problems. One is a permanent fix, the other works, but requires continious updates and maintenance.

1. Temporary. Go to www.majorgeeks.com and download "anti vir". Antivir uses less resources than AVG (slows your computer down less), but is still very very popular. My experience is that "free" antivirus software protects better than "home" MacAfee, or Norton. The Enterprise versions, however, of MacAfee/Norton are much better. Unfortuanately, you and I probably can not afford the enterprise versions, so antivir is the next best among the Windows based antivirus software solutions.

2. Permanent. There are at least 110,000 virii that infect exclusively Microsoft software, so the permanent fix is to dump Microsoft, or at least dual boot and use MS only when running software which requires microsoft OS. The good part is there are several very good Linux based software versions which are superior to Microsoft and are "open source", that is, free. One such free operating system that I like and use is Kubuntu at http://www.kubuntu.org/getkubuntu

Notice that you can even get a free CD there..yes, the shipping is free too. Some good things are free..VA benefits, are free, for example. Another outstanding free operating system is Linux mint, also available for free at: http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php

You need to "unthink Microsoft". For example, if you download either Linux Mint or Kubuntu and burn the CD/DVD you can run them live on your computer. Microsoft likes everyone to think there is no such thing as a live operating system CD, because MS operating systems all require installation to the hard drive. With several of the Linux versions, however, you can try the operating system from the CD rom drive and do not need to remove your old Windows operating system to try it and see if you like it. Of course, running Linux from a CD rom will be slower than running Linux installed to your hard drive, but you can still try it and not wipe out your present OS. Try it! Another very very good thing about Kubuntu Linux, for example, is that you can take a blank hard drive and be online with Linux in ten minutes or less! Yes, its true I have done it! You stick the CD in the CD rom drive, and click the Firefox icon and poof..you are online..YOU DO NOT HAVE TO WAIT FOR HOURS TO INSTALL THE OPERATING SYSTEM ON THE HARD DRIVE!!!

• HadIt.com Elder
For what it is worth...I have my own computer business, and frankly...AVG Free makes me a fair amount of money. The majority of my customers that come in with virus problems, have AVG Free. The AVG website even tells you what the Free version covers. In my humble opinion, you get what you pay for. I am not disagreeing with anyone, or trying to scare anyone. Just what I see on a daily basis. The Big Three, Norton, McAffe, and Trend Micro are true resouce hogs. These guys will pig out your system and rob it of performance. We sell Kaspersky to all of our customers. We are a direct reseller of Kaspersky products. They have just begun letting us offer Kaspersky for three computers with a two year subscription for $49.95. I think that is the best deal on the market.

All that being said, no matter what virus protection you have, it's only as good as the PC user. They are not bullet proof by any means.

I have been using Kaspersky for over two years. I use it on two desktops and three laptops. I started out with it on just one desktop and I liked it so much that I just kept installing it every time I'd replace a computer (I'm not a computer geek, I'm a computer freak, okay?).

What I especially like about it is the update feature......let me check, right now, and tell you when my viris prevention portion of Kasperksy was updated, it's now 8/20/09 at 8:230 am:

8/20/09 @ 6:53 am. Hmmmmmm, that's kinda slooooow for Kaspersky, must not be very many new virus variants popping up this morning, it's been an hour and half since they updated my virus database....geeeeez, these guys must be on brunch break.