VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Anger Management

Rate this topic

Again, most, not all, with a diagnosis of bipolar disorder or MDD have chemical imbalance. Yes, there are other things too. That's just generally speaking.

Jay

Wow wholesale....where did you get your psych degree?

My Dad passed away almost 3 years ago....you just don't "get over" stuff like that. I sat for 4 days and watched him die.

Since no ADs have ever helped me....I don't believe mine is a chemical imbalance. The majority of it goes back to my PTSD issues and life issues that keep piling on.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

I do have a psychology degree, ha, ha. Some of the thinking is that PTSD actually rewires your brain because of adrenline overload. Like chronic pain sort of burns you out, and leads to depression. It is probably a combination of many factors. Each of us is an individual with predispositions to certains things. When events, genetics and possible chemical changes converge then...bingo...you have the problems. Sort of like a regular physical illness. What brings it on at a certain age? No one knows for sure. You know people in continual combat break down at a known rate. During WWI and WWII the troops had to be brought out of combat to rest.

• HadIt.com Elder

AHHHH, I'm cured!

No more MDD, no more pain.

I'm doing as prescribed on here and having I'm having "happy thoughts".

Just think, if I'd known about "the cure" earlier in my life, why I coulda been PREESEEDENT!

But, then I'd have never known "the cure".

Nor would I have known all you schmucks, either.

I'm now trying to decide if knowin' y'all was worth it.

DON'T PRESS THE ISSUE!

:unsure:

• HadIt.com Elder

Yup, Larry, that's right!!! I'm fairly sure you already all of the following. The problem is it isn't very easy to do. We tend to follow patterns, some of them 40+ yrs old, and should know, by now, that "if we always do what we've always done we will get the same result." I've been able to change some of my thinking and my management of anger is way better than it was 20 yrs ago. Some of it is that I avoid situations that may bring an anger response in me. Sometimes, it's unavoidable, as in when someone cuts me off, in traffic. These days I make the assumption that the other driver didn't see me and had to be somewhere sooner than I did but not that they were intentionally trying to cut me off. Previously, I would become enraged and it would take me sometimes hours to calm back down, while the other driver drove happily away, unaware of what "he had done to me." In reality what I had done to myself. And there are still things I can't or won't change. I've never been out, say at a restaurant, and been harmed (other than by the cooking). However, I, usually, still sit w/my back against the wall and know where all the exits are, because that's when I'm most comfortable. I am getting better, at that, but it's been a very slow process. I don't fly. I will if I ablsolutely must but I prefer to drive. I know flying is safer but then I'm not in control. Anyway, as I said it's not easy to do. jmo

pr

So, all I have to do to overcome my depression is to change my thinking?

And, all this time I thought I had something seriously wrong with me.