VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

2nd Knee Replacement

Rate this question

SFCMoore

Question

A while back I posted about my knee replacement gone bad. I went to my Dr and I am having a second one done - a partial - AKA a "tray replacement". I looked at chapter 38 and there is no mention of ratings for a partial. But I went back to 2007-08 BVA decisions and they are rated the same as a total knee replacement as the process is the same and the recovery time is the same. Did anyone here have a second one done and what was the temp and final rating? HAPPY FATHERS DAY to all dads.

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

I don't have an answer but I would like to offer my wishes for good luck on next surgery.

I don't see why they would not give you the same time 13 months? that you got from first operation.

A while back I posted about my knee replacement gone bad. I went to my Dr and I am having a second one done - a partial - AKA a "tray replacement". I looked at chapter 38 and there is no mention of ratings for a partial. But I went back to 2007-08 BVA decisions and they are rated the same as a total knee replacement as the process is the same and the recovery time is the same. Did anyone here have a second one done and what was the temp and final rating? HAPPY FATHERS DAY to all dads.

I realize you are having a knee replacement done over.I had both knees replaced at the same time.Still having a good bit of discorfort,but replacements are not loose or anything like that.I can't figure out how they can go back in the knee they have already replaced and do a partial or "tray" as you mentioned.But-I'm not the Doctor.Good luck.please follow up how you do.I am at 30% for each knee (60) total.Tried to get increase as 30 is the minimum for a replaced knee but was turned down the first go round.

I realize you are having a knee replacement done over.I had both knees replaced at the same time.Still having a good bit of discorfort,but replacements are not loose or anything like that.I can't figure out how they can go back in the knee they have already replaced and do a partial or "tray" as you mentioned.But-I'm not the Doctor.Good luck.please follow up how you do.I am at 30% for each knee (60) total.Tried to get increase as 30 is the minimum for a replaced knee but was turned down the first go round.

Actually it is common that the knee replacement(s) go wrong. They can get "loose" as a result of additional injury (as in my case) or through use. The Tibial Tray is driven into the Tibia bone. On top of that a "spacer" is fixed to/or cemented to the top of the Tibial component. It is a softer component that the Femoral component (knee joint replacement) rests on. As I have additional tendon and ligament damage, they will remove the Plastic Spacer and put in a thicker one to take up the additional space that caused knee to go loose. The spacer will also crack if you kneel on them. The operation - also known as a Reversal - is more complicated than the original operation. If it works - fine. If not and I am the same or a bit better I am OK with that, but as of now my quality of life is minimal.

I don't have an answer but I would like to offer my wishes for good luck on next surgery.

I don't see why they would not give you the same time 13 months? that you got from first operation.

I looked at some prior BVA cases and as the reversal does not have an actual rating they rate it as 5055 "Knee Replacement." The process is the same as a total knee replacement and the recovery time is the same. It took some time to find some cases but I did. What is really strange is that if I filed now with the pain, loose knee, having to wear a brace and use a cane – as well as very limited walking and weight bearing, I would most likely get increased to 60%. But the replacement will go back to 30% after 1 year. Go figure….. only the VA could do that.