VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Texas Homestead Exemptions For 100% Now Law

Rate this question

Teac

Question

Sent: Monday, June 22, 2009 11:50 AM

Cc:

Subject: Alert: Homestead Exemption of 100 Percent Disabled Veterans

Importance: High

Alert to Appraisal Districts and County Tax Assessors

Total Exemption of Homesteads of 100 Percent Disabled Veterans

House Bill 3613, which contains a provision requiring an exemption of the total appraised value of homesteads of Texas veterans receiving 100 percent disability compensation from the United States Department of Veterans Affairs, is now state law. This new exemption is effective for the 2009 tax year, and you should ensure that it is reflected on the 2009 appraisal roll. Eligible veterans with mortgages may need your immediate confirmation that their homesteads are totally exempt so they can notify their mortgage companies and reduce their escrow payments. Appraisal districts should already have a record of the disability rating of each veteran who owns a homestead if they qualify for the partial exemption allowed by law. Attached please find a temporary model form for use in 2009 for the disabled veteran's homestead exemption. This form is located on our web site at http://www.window.state.tx.us/taxinfo/taxforms/vetexempt.pdf.

The total homestead exemption for 100 percent disabled veterans is codified as the new Property Tax Code Section 11.131. House Bill 3613 also includes provisions that conform the Tax Code bracket points for the disabled veterans' partial exemption to the bracket points in the Texas Constitution and prohibit consideration of highest and best use in appraising homesteads. Please call (800) 252-9121 if you have questions about any of these new provisions.

Property Tax Assistance Division

Attachment

Totally Disabled Veteran Homestead Property Tax Exemption

Originally filed as SB 469 (Sen. John Carona)/HB 742 (Rep. Kino Flores)

Passed as part of HB 3613

This exemption applies to a veteran:

o with a service-connected disability,

o who receives compensation from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs at the 100% level due

to either:

§ a 100% disability rating OR

§ individual unemployability.

The TOTAL VALUE of an applicable disabled veteran's residence homestead (principal

residence) is EXEMPT from any calculation of property taxation.

o Regardless of the number of taxing units (school districts, utility districts, hospital districts) in

which a veteran's homestead may be, the property's value is virtually worth $0 for the

calculation of a property tax bill.

§ EXAMPLE: If a school district charges $1.00 per $100 of a home's value, your home

costs $100,000, AND you are a totally disabled veteran, then the appraisal district

reports your home's value as $0. One dollar and fifty cents times zero is zero. You

would owe $0 in property taxes to your school district, and this holds true for every other

taxing district your property is in.

The effective tax year for this exemption is 2009.

o Despite the bill being originally filed with an effective tax year that was essentially 2010, the bill

was amended to apply this exemption to taxes calculated in "the tax year beginning on or after

January 1st, 2009."

o The effective tax year should not be confused with the effective date of the bill.

§ As amended into HB 3613, the language of SB 469 says that it takes effect either

September 1st or immediately if it gets 2/3 vote from both Houses.

• HB 3613 received more than the necessary amount of votes in the House and

Senate, so it takes effect immediately upon the Governor's signature.

• However, even if it had gone into effect on September 1st, the language still

specifies that it applies to the 2009 tax year.

Applying for the totally disabled veteran property tax should be much easier with a new

certification letter created by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs in anticipation of this bill

passing the State Legislature.

o The new certification letter should now address

§ the specific percentage rating of a veteran's disability,

§ the veteran's individually unemployable status, and

§ whether the disability was service-connected.

o Veterans should contact their County Appraisal District to:

§ obtain an application for applying for a disabled veteran property tax exemption (also

available online through the Comptroller's website) AND

§ ensure that a copy of his new letter of certification from the VA was received with that

application.

• Answers 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Here’s the status concerning this Bill:

· State must first create an exemption form to be used so until this occurs we won’t be processing any of these requests

· Once form is created by State, eligible veterans must apply (i.e. we won’t automatically grant exemption based on current 100%)

Thank you.

Per Dallas Central Appraisal District via email this morning

Here's the status concerning this Bill:

· State must first create an exemption form to be used so until this occurs we won't be processing any of these requests

· Once form is created by State, eligible veterans must apply (i.e. we won't automatically grant exemption based on current 100%)

Thank you.

Per Dallas Central Appraisal District via email this morning

Seems like dallas Central has there head in a dark moist place....

The form has been created by the state comptroller already and there is a link to it in my first post..

Bexar county San antonio told me no Problem.....

• HadIt.com Elder

In Florida only P&T vets get 100% property tax exemption. Funny thing is that housing prices have crashed, but the tax bill for the same houses has not gone down, but has gone up in some cases. Most people are just getting screwed to the wall in my state. We get almost nothing for our tax dollars that I can see. The schools are awful. The roads are terrible. No jobs in Florida, so don't bother coming unless you are retired.

I have a copy but it has a big print TEMPORARY

Pete,

Yes that is the Correct form. Apparently it is marked temporary because they plain to change the form but they needed something quick so that was how they did it.

I faxed my application and va letter to Bexar county yesterday, I called today and they tell me it will be processed by Friday.

I guess every district will do it differently but I don't know why anyone would want to make it harder than is necessary. Maybe you should give them another call, if you get a different person, bet you get a different answer....

• HadIt.com Elder

"Appraisal districts should already have a record of the disability rating of each veteran who owns a homestead if they qualify for the partial exemption allowed by law."

this as per the State of Texas.

So, if I already have presented my letter from the VARO in Waco, and have already been granted my 100% disabled veteran tax exemption status, then I should have to do nothing, the way that I read the law.