VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

New User

Rate this question

Steve1000

Question

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

mesaron,

Welcome to Hadit.

I am moving your topic to the Claims / Benefits Research Forum.

Other's will chime in.

carlie

Sincere thanks. I need all the input I can get at this point. Running out of $$$ and if my significant other predeceases me, I won't be able to survive....please understand this is not a "poor me" syndrome...just the facts....

The VA messed up with my original intake medical exam. After getting my medical records from the VA so that I could file a claim,I realized that thier readings showed that I was Diabetic, yet, no one ever told me. It wasn't until 8 months later when my private primary care physcian had me do a glucose tolerance test and he confirmed that I'm Diabetic"

What did the readings show? higher than 126 ?

Have you ever gotten a HBIAC test for diabetes? The OGTT is different from the HBIAC.

You might have the basis for a Section 1151 claim here.

A failure to diagnose and treat diabetes is negligence if the medical records fully reveal medical evidence of DMII.

That medical evidence might be separate from some glucose readings.

I proved my husband died from DMII due to VA negligence. The word diabetes never appeared in his med recs at all. They then misdiagnosed his strokes and heart disease-all from the AO diabetes. If a vet has DMII and they have enogh medical info to diagnose it and dont -that is negligence (a nice word for malpractice)

However the rating they gave you is low- perhaps they just considered you to be a borderline diabetic for some time (there really isnt any such thing)

,"I realized that thier readings showed that I was Diabetic, yet, no one ever told me."

What readings were these? Glucose over 128 on 3 separate occasions?

Did you check your creatine values? Any hyperlipedimia evident in the bood chem reports?

It IS possible they did not misdiagnose you-I have VAola paranoia when it comes to Vietnam vets and they care they get,My husband's best friend at the VA where he was employed was misdiagnosed too-they almost killed him too and they paid for it.

"PTSD, Diabetes Type2, Hypertension, Parksinson's Disease and then on January 18, 2010 I had Colon Cancer surgery." Are all of these disabilities being claimed?

As you know Parkinsons is now AO presumptive.

Is the type of colon cancer you have possibly a soft tissue sarcoma? If so that would be an AO STS service connectable cancer.

The neuro exam might be regarding the Parkinsons/ Someone here recently posted the C & P worksheets for the 3 new presumptives.I think they are in our Agent Orange forum.

"I'll probably be dead before I receive any compensation but, I guess, that's what the VA is counting on."

Veteran -keep your spirits Up and outlive the claim for SPITE!!!!

A lot did hit you all at once, Has your medical care been primarily from the VA?

Welcome to hadit.

Thanks for all the information. I really appreciate it.

My initial intake only had one reading. By the VA's own print out in med records it indicate "H"....164....a computer generated "H" should be brought to the Patient's attention and follow-up care given (I was a nurse for 25+ years - that much I remember).

I have all pertinent records....now here's an interesting fact - I was injured (non-combat) while in 'nam. I was dispatched to pick up my commanding Col upon his return from a fly over. As his helicopter landed, I was literally thrown onto the hood of my jeep. I was hospitalized in Saigon for a back injury which still troubles me to this day. There is no record of that hospitalization. I was told that they had searched 3 out of 5 hospitals and requested that I give them the name of the specific hospital. WTF? I was in 'nam, not in a hospital like "Mercy General" or "St Joes".....you get my drift.. soo my initial claim for back injury was dismissed out of hand.

I've tried searching my commanding officers to no avail. Don't know where to turn there. It's been over 40 years.

Believe me, heads went spinning after my partner and I reviewed my VA medical records and my partner reported the errors to the Patient Advocate in Phoenix. I filed a request for amendment to medical records. Had a talk with the head of nursing at Southeast Medical Center in Mesa - it was very convenient that the Patient Advocate at that center who should have seen me nor the primary care nor the psychiatrist were available to address any of the corrections that I had noted in my records. One, in particular, all might really id with - regarding my PTSD: I had several sessions with my assigned Psych. on each occassion I had told him of my desire to end my life...just wanting it to end...my rages and threats to my parnter...screaming nightmares....anxiety...panic attacts...agoraphobia....AND HE CHARTED I WAS "FUTURE ORIENTED"...go figure.

I was assinged a new primary care MD at VA and a new Psych. Both of whom greatly resented my partner being present during my initial intake appts with them. (With my Parkinson's, my voice sometimes gives out and becomes difficult for people to understand)....and also I have my partner in on my sessions so that there is a witness to the proceedings.

Currently my claim is for PTSD, Diabetes II and Parkinson's...didn't know I could claim hypertension. (now that would be a good one [LOL] considering the runaround we all get our pressure is always rising...and, yes, I'm on medication for it.

No, thank God, my medical care is not provided by the VA! I'd be dead by now if I entrusted my health to them. I see a private primary care and then do follow-ups with the VA primarily for recordation of my new medications which have now increased to 16...and counting.

I have opted not to undergo chemo.. I prefer a quality of life rather than a quantity of miserable life....I've seen too many people go through the torments of chemo only to rise and fall, rise and fall and finally only fall. I realize that for some chemo works but with all that's happening to me in such a short time, I believe that I've made the right choice.

It's just that I'm so damn mad! (who isn't?)

Again,

thanks!

Mesaron, just want to let you know that your not in this boat alone. We will help you bail the water out if we can. I identify with your problems. I also was also diagnosed long after symptoms and tests reviled that I was diabetic. My private doc looked at my medical records from VA and others and asked if I was diabetic? The VA had missed 3 high blood glucose results. I brought this up to my VA PCP and he said "gee how did I miss that".

There are a lot of very smart and able folks here at Hadit that can give you some good advise. Welcome aboard and good luck.

Dave