VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Iu Employer Letters

Rate this question

iraqx2

Question

I am awaiting a decision on my IU Claim from the VA. The actually VARO ( thru my VSO ) stated that they have not received any responses from my employers. However, on the VA's 800 # , they are stating that they have all the responses and is waiting for one more. Two separate calls gave the same answers and gave specific dates of each responses.I then told them that one employer has closed down.

First question, who the heck do you think is telling the truth?

Secondly, how important are the employer responses in granting my claim? I have a mental disorder and was not obviously bragging about it when I did work. I have gone thru 5 employers in 5 years. Some of these employers were not even aware of my condition. I am hoping they look at the medical evidence and the fact that I have not work since November. These letters are awkward.

Thoughts?

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Those employer letters truly should have been taken care of by you. Don't ever count on the VA to do that on your behalf.

Go to your employers, or call or e-mail them and ask for a copy of those letters, then send them to the VARO, certified, return-receipt requested mail. That is the only way to ever mail anything to the VA.

As the vet, it's our job to ensure that the VA has everything they need to decide our claims.

Purple gave you some good advise. Never send anything to the va without a returned receipt and file the the receipt, thats good evidence if you take it to a higher level. Wthout it the va can say , we never receivded it. It will cost you a little and a little time, but thats the way you work with the va. Good luck

I've got a beef with the whole employer thing and 'our responsibility'.

First off, a couple of my former employers are like ex-girlfriends who didn't want me to dump them. Needless to say, they aren't going to be in a hurry doing anything to help me.

Is this my problem? NO - Employees are the only ones looking out for their own good and at-will employment is a 2-way street.

Employers will think you're screwing them merely because your best interests are not their best interests.

So- should the burden of getting cooperation from a former employer fall on the veteran? Absolutely not! We are powerless. (especially since mine are in another state).

The VA should put a little teeth in their efforts and quit using this as a stalling tactic.

Like you said, iraq, I wasn't exactly forthcoming with them about my personal health details.

FIGHT THE POWER!!!

I had 2 employers in 5 years.. really only worked the last year. One repied, the other was the US Census..

The employer form asks for your supervisor to sign off.. really you could choose anyone in your chain of command.

In the regs is says they cannot hold it against you if your employers refuse to do the forms. However, I think you will have a problem if you have 4 employers and none of them return the form.

I didn't put the employer addresses on the IU form, so I got the employer questionaires.

The VA called me asking me for the addresses, but I told them my wife was getting the forms completed. I told them the Census was probably not going to return the form..

When I went to my employer, I had the form filled out.. I basically told them the VA needed to verify that I am not getting any worksman's comp or other disability money from the employer.. ( not a lie, the form does ask about it )...

Some advice, which seemed to help.. I didn't resign my job, I took leave under the federal leave act.. that created a paper trail that proved the medical side of it.. even if the employer doesn't return the form, I still had a paper trail that said I left under medical reasons.

my situation was a little different, I used to work for VA and when my back went out and I didn't report to work for four days and didn't call. When I did report I asked my supervisor to fire me but he refused because he did not want me to get state unemployment. He also wrote a negative comment in my claim record which I don't think should be their. He commented something like (while I was at work I inquired how to increase my own disability) In other words he retaliated against me because I told him I quite and signed documentation that it was due to my disability not service connected at that time. From 2004 to 2005 all my claims were denied, I can't prove it but he may have even removed evidence from my file. In 2006 I filed new claims and since I had my original SMRs I sent in copies and stated that the evidence should have been in my claim folders and everything changed. From 2006 to 2009 I went from 60% to 80% to 90% to 100% P & T. Now the claims that were denied are being reviewed for more evidence and I know I am maxed out on monthly benefits but the correction and back pay would be really nice. I quit VA in 2000 and I have not worked since 2002. My vso stated all this when my file went to the BVA and the BVA agreed and remanded my file with three reconsideration for EEDs and three denied claims on appeal never completely processed by VA. So my point with all this is to keep on pushing never let down or give up. I was also struggling with my job duties and I had two years VA rheumatology reports stating I should quit my job because it would only aggravate my back. So keep on keeping on

Edited by pacmanx1