VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Reflux

Rate this question

Didto_69

Question

Duodenitis with Hiatal Hernia with reflux 20%

Hemorroids 10%

now i am asking for sleep Apnea claimed as secondary to Duodenitis with Hiatal Hernia with reflux

Denied by RO went to bva now in REMAND at AMC

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Be sure and take the meds for acid reflux. Reflux causes cancer if left untreated.

Good Luck on your c,aim

Do you have medical evidence or any statement from any doctor that your sleep apnea is secondary to your other service connected conditions?

All secondary disabilities need medical statements to establish the condition as contributed to or directly due to a SC condition.

Did the remand call for another C & P or a statement to this affect from a VA doctor?

Remands to the AMC have to be carefully read by the claimant. Often the claimant can do things as well to support a proper decision from the AMC- or from the BVA -if the AMC sends the claim back there.

I responded to a SSOC from the AMC, knocked down the second VA medical opinion, and sent a copy of my response to the BVA. I also included additional evidence and listed again all evidence the VA had failed to consider in 6 years.

Within a few weeks of that response the BVA awarded my claim.

Responding to an SSOC if you get one from the AMC is optional- but to me- it can make the difference in another denial or an award.

If you do have medical documentation of the linkage between your SC disabilities and the sleep apnea, has the VA fully considered that evidence yet?

Thank you Berta i search the internet and found a nexus it's is in the reply to the denial.

yes they ask for a c&p ex. the nexus is at www.webmd.com

Potential medical nexuses to any disability still depend on a doctor's statement.

Medical treatises and abstracts can certainly help to prove a claim-but as many here would agree-

they have far more weight when referenced by a medical professional in a way that is specific to an individual claim.

You could certainly bring this internet printout to the C & P exam but it all depends on whether the doctor would consider it and make a "as likely or not" or "more than likely" statement to secondarily Service connect the apnea.

The VA most often takes the position that they recognize an internet medical printout showing potential nexus (thus they have considered it as evidence) but then they reject the information as it is not specific to the individual claimant.

Berta

what about this a new study, presented today at the annual meeting of the American college of gastroenterology, is attempting to fine out. And so far, preliminary results from the first part of an ongoin study show that "there may be a casual relationship between reflux and sleep events in people with obstructive type sleep apnea." say lead researcher U S Army Major Brian P. Mulhall. MD MPH, of Walter Reed Army Medical Center in Washington, D. C. in a news release

www.webmd.com/heartburn-gerd/news