VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Veterans Compensation Act Of 2009

Rate this question

broncovet

Question

According to what I have read this ACT 407, "The Veterans Compensation Cost of Living Adjustment Act of 2009" which has been passed by congress but not yet signed by the president, will give us a raise.

If you read the link, those changes, if the president signs it, would mean about a 5.7% increase, or about a $150 more for a 100% disabled Vet effective December 1, 2009.

I dont know..maybe I dont get it, but it looks like we are getting a nice raise unless Obama vetoes it.

http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/ge...:s407es.txt.pdf

More is here:

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=s111-407

Considering that vawatchdog.org says that our normal COLA would be about 0% this year, I would say 5.7% is a much improvement from that.

http://www.vawatchdog.org/09/nf09/nfjun09/nf061809-1.htm

• Answers 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

It never ceases to amaze me how veterans here, receiving payment at the 100% rate, keep crying for, in the words of Billy Idol, more, more, more!!! Don't get me wrong, I greatly appreciate any increase we receive and have yet to refuse one but to sit around, in June, worrying about whether or not we'll get an increase, in December, and how much it'll be, is senseless. I'm quite content with all that we receive. But then, again, I've been accused of suggesting that we should "just think happy thoughts." jmo

pr

I agree with Grunt...that huge increase that the VA gets will probably go to performance bonuses for the VA doing a good job.

After all the VA has done to Veterans recently...infecting more than 50 of them with serious and life threatinging illnesses...increasing the backlog from 400,000 to almost one million Veterans waiting for the VA to "process" their paperwork, shredding Veterans claims and evidence, etc, etc, its a wonder that Veterans dont start world war 3 against the VA.

• HadIt.com Elder

flip I have made the same comments in other threads and was told they weren't "greedy" they just want what they think they are "due" heck I am living better now than I did working full time at the post office I have no complaints we have won the "lottery" and this house knows it has been blessed the freezer and pantry is always full I can't say that about the past

Edited by Testvet

• HadIt.com Elder

Mike, I know what you're saying! If life were just and fair our active duty personnel would be getting paid $60k-$100k a yr for what they are doing and veterans would get what they were promised. My lifestyle is much better than the first 10 yrs, before I won what I earned. But alas, life isn't like that. jmo

pr

flip I have made the same comments in other threads and was told they weren't "greedy" they just want what they think they are "due" heck I am living better now than I did working full time at the post office I have no complaints we have won the "lottery" and this house knows it has been blessed the freezer and pantry is always full I can't say that about the past

I am happy for those people who are living better now on Va disability then they were before.

However, if these people waited 7 years for the VA to "process" their benefit check while watching their home be foreclosed, and vehicle repossesed, maybe they would not have such a great attidude either. It wasnt just about the money..the wife of 20 years left about the same time my home was foreclosed, too.

My "hardship request" was shredded.

I am going to try to get a better attitude, but I am still smarting from loosing my home, car, and family.