VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

What % Do You Have To Have To Get Ssdi

Rate this question

Destia

Question

I was wondering what's the lowest percentage you have to have in order to get SSDI. I am 50% and I have not worked in 3 years. I have 30% PTSD and 30% for a nerve condition in my face (Trygeminal Neuralgia) requireing me to use oxcycodone 10mg every six hours. Can some one help me out on this question. Thanks in advance.

Caroline :D

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

SSDI is based on your ability to work not your percentage from the VA. While it is helpful to have a hight percentage, Social Security looks at all factors, both service and non service connected.

• HadIt.com Elder
I was wondering what's the lowest percentage you have to have in order to get SSDI. I am 50% and I have not worked in 3 years. I have 30% PTSD and 30% for a nerve condition in my face (Trygeminal Neuralgia) requireing me to use oxcycodone 10mg every six hours. Can some one help me out on this question. Thanks in advance.

Caroline :D

Sharon is right. SSD does not go by percentage. They go by Can you or CAN YOU NOT work. They take into account your service connection disablities as well as non SC problems. If they can figure out a job you can do, then you will be denied. If not, then you will be approved.

Further down on this forum is a topic about SSD and job descriptions I posted. Maybe it can help you.

http://www.hadit.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=28488

I wish you the best and hope you get it.

fanaticbooks

I appreciate your suggestions and advice. I have been unemployed for about 3 years and I just haven't been able to do much on this pain medicine and sleepless nights with dealing with my PTSD. I have managed to go to school. I feel like I had to pull myself out of this depression just so I could get more money because of my unemployment. I did fine for a while. I worked as a LPN at the VA hospital but my worst nightmare appeared one day and checked in for an appointment with his wife and child. It was the bastard that raped me while I was in the military and I left my job two weeks later and never returned back. Anyway, again thank you for your kind words and advice.

Caroline B)

Can you get a higher % for ptsd, because you are not able to work?, that way you can request the IU....

You can request you ss statment online, on ssa page, you will find out in the statement if you have enough credits, before you stop working....

good luck....

Destia,

I'm not as knowledged as these guys here, but I hope I can offer some advice. I was approved for SSD at 50% (30 ptsd 10,10,and 10 others). Your locale plays a part on how easy or difficult getting SSD. I was in California where I heard it was easier, i got it on the first attempt, but my mom and stepfather in South Carolina have been working at it for a few years, i heard it was extremley difficult in SC. Another thing is that I had a retired Navy guy that worked my SSD claim. I guess it would be better to have someone sympathetic towards vets. Call for the appointment with Social Security and make sure you go in IN PERSON. When I did have an attorney (he bailed on me) he wanted to make sure that i went in person and not do a telephone interview for SSD. If you have your medical records take them, and when they send you the paperwork for yourself and someone close to you to fill out make sure you fill it out from the perspective of you on your worst days (when your conditions are at their worst). I hope this helps in some way. Wishing you the best of luck with your claim.

Kappa

• HadIt.com Elder

I was approved for Social Security Disability when the VA had me rated at nothing. I was not even eligible to go to the VAMC