VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Imo Or Ime How Do Get One

Rate this question

Chris111

Question

Hi I would like to get a IMO or IME from a doctor on my conditions. Most doctors ive talked to dont want to get involved in making a letter. Ive contacted the most famous one Dr. Bash but he doesnt call back. Are there any others?

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

What specialty are you seeking an IMO for?

I had 2 opinions from Dr. Bash ,one from a former VA doctor,and had ordered another one just in case.

I googled forensic cardiologists and found Medical Standards, Health Information Search, Inc.

Afdter emailing them as to what I needed and brief decription of my evidence, they sent me the fee info and forms and I sent them the medical records,etc.

I didnt need the opinion- my claim was awarded days after they got my info.

My point is there are plenty of places on the net that help someone find an IMO doc in the specific field of medicine you need the opinion in.

Also Dr. Bash gets many calls and emails- it might help if you state in email to him what type of IMO you need and what documented evidence you have to support the opinion.

I stated to him by email what I was looking for and what I had.

He responded if you have that evidence , send it to me with a check-it sounds like good case-

a week after he got the packet of med recs and oither documents he called me and said he had agreed with my claim and was sending the IMO.

These doctors are all very busy- it helps considerably to tell them what you need and list the evidence you have to support their opinion.

It also helps them determine better if in fact there would be a good basis to even expect a favorable IMO.

The forensic place I dealt with called me after they received my check and packet of evidence.They deal primarily with lawyers and court cases but also provide IMOs.

The evidence had not been forwarded to the cardiologist yet but the man who assesses these requests complimented me on the way I had prepared the evidence.Everything was included and tabbed as to the specific records and other VA documents he needed.

I had separated the Blood Chem reports by date from the med recs, and also had separated the PTSD therapy info as it was not probative to the opinion.

It took me some time to prepare all of the evidence in addition to the medical records but it was well worth the time.

I included all pertinent SSOC and data regarding past decisions and what also helped the most was a cover letter explaining the exhibits enclosed and then an exhibit list.

This was a forensic cardiologist familiar with autopsys so I dont think he could help you but if you google Independent Medical Opinions there are many doctors that should pop up.

• HadIt.com Elder

There's one in Oklahoma City. He was being discussed on this board not too long ago. I found his website:

http://www.ellisclinic.com/

To Our Appreciated Disabled American Veterans

Elis Clinic specialize in Legal Medicine and considers it an honor and a privilege to assist our Disabled American Veterans and their families by providing medical examinations and expert medical opinion reports for:

Medical Evidence of the Service Connectedness of Your Injuries

Medical Evidence of Consequential Medical Conditions Due to Your Past Service Injuries

Medical Evidence for VA Disability Ratings

Thank you and your family for your sacrifice and service to our country!

How can we help?

God Bless,

Doc Ellis and the Ellis Clinic Staff

John W. Ellis, M.D. Curriculum Vitae Summary

For additional information see www.EllisClinic.com

Clinical Associate Professor University of Oklahoma School of Medicine

Nationwide teacher to physicians, attorneys, claims managers, businesses

Teaching emphasis: Occupational & Environmental, Legal Medicine, Impairment Ratings

Board Certifications:

American Board of Environmental Medicine

American Board of Family Medicine

American Board of Forensic Examiners

American Board of Forensic Medicine

American Board of Independent Medical Examiners

Fellowships:

American College of Occupational and Environmental Medicine

American College of Family Physicians

Reviewing Editor of the AMA Guides to the Evaluation of Permanent Impairment, Forth Edition

Past President, Oklahoma College of Occupational & Environmental Medicine

Edited by LarryJ

There's one in Oklahoma City. He was being discussed on this board not too long ago. I found his website:

http://www.ellisclinic.com/

To Our Appreciated Disabled American Veterans

Elis Clinic specialize in Legal Medicine and considers it an honor and a privilege to assist our Disabled American Veterans and their families by providing medical examinations and expert medical opinion reports for:

Medical Evidence of the Service Connectedness of Your Injuries

Medical Evidence of Consequential Medical Conditions Due to Your Past Service Injuries

Medical Evidence for VA Disability Ratings

Thank you and your family for your sacrifice and service to our country!

How can we help?

God Bless,

Doc Ellis and the Ellis Clinic Staff

John W. Ellis, M.D. Curriculum Vitae Summary

For additional information see www.EllisClinic.com

Clinical Associate Professor University of Oklahoma School of Medicine

Nationwide teacher to physicians, attorneys, claims managers, businesses

Teaching emphasis: Occupational & Environmental, Legal Medicine, Impairment Ratings

Board Certifications:

American Board of Environmental Medicine

American Board of Family Medicine

American Board of Forensic Examiners

American Board of Forensic Medicine

American Board of Independent Medical Examiners

Fellowships:

American College of Occupational and Environmental Medicine

American College of Family Physicians

Reviewing Editor of the AMA Guides to the Evaluation of Permanent Impairment, Forth Edition

Past President, Oklahoma College of Occupational & Environmental Medicine

well thats good bc i have tried to get an imo on line sites and they always say we dont handle va cases.lol

IMHO

I would humbly suggest you check with a local physican, with a specialty in the IMO that you are seeking.

Altho Dr. Bash has helped a lot of Veterans, I think he has written so many IMO's that RO's do not regard his IMO's as credible. I contacted Dr. Bash and I thought his fee for an IMO was rather pricey..if I recall it was $3000.

Dr. Bash did tell me that his fee could be paid out of retro, so $3000 would not hurt so bad then. Hiring Dr. Bash may well be more effective at winning your claim than a lawyer.

That being said, I think a local physicain in your area would work better, and maybe cheaper. You would need to explain to the physicain that you feel your condition is related to military service and give him your reasons. If the doctor agrees with you, then you need to have him state, in his report in nearly these words:

"I have examined the patient, and have extensively reviewed his medical records. In my opinion, this Veterans condition is most likely due to an injury he suffered while in military service"

Further, the physician should probably cite scientific references such as medical journals as to why he thinks your arthritis in your foot, for example, is related to the foot fracture you suffered while in the military.