Patience Is Not My Virtue

4myboys

Hi Everyone, new here to Hadit.com. I was a CTT1 in the Navy, loved it...until I got hurt!

I have viewed a few times here and there looking for some advice or those going through similar situations.

I am in the San Diego area currently awaiting my Final Award Letter from the VARO. I received my DAV letter, but not the official VA letter. The wait is torture. Apparently I have won claims back to 98 so the process is taking longer than usual. It has been returned to the Rater twice for mistakes and is hopefully back at the Authorization Team.

Best yet I received a letter out of nowhere from Debt Management stating that due to the change in my C&P I was paid money not entitled to. So confused...something else to fight. I have always been 40% with a spouse and two kids. I was approved for and completed Voc Rehab with a degree in Psychology. I have never received any other form of C&P or benefits, so I'm not sure where this came from. My claim is not final, nothing has changed??? Anyone else have this experience?

Well, that about sums it up. I am grateful for any advice or feedback from those whom have been there and done that! I appreciate all of you out there that have served our country, defended our freedom, and sacrificed life as you knew it! God Bless!

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

Huh? change in a C & P caused a debt??????

I am anxious to learn what the actual award letter says and I sure can understand the delay- I got award letter from the BVA in early May and days later it came from the RO- and it was all screwed up-

At 80 % per your profile on the left are you still working? and if not have you formally applied for TDIU?

or did you mean 40% SC?

I assume you received a Voc Rehab monthly stipend as well as the compensation.

Could there be a mistake between Voc Rehab and the comp department?

What money did they say you received but were not entitled to?

Was there a statement as to your appellate rights in this letter?

It is nice to know you expect and award letter but I sure would be more concerned about this debt letter.

Did the letter state the amount of debt and how they arrived at this?

I am anxious to learn what the actual award letter says and I sure can understand the delay- I got award letter from the BVA in early May and days later it came from the RO- and it was all screwed up-

At 80 % per your profile on the left are you still working? and if not have you formally applied for TDIU?

or did you mean 40% SC?

It is nice to know you expect and award letter but I sure would be more concerned about this debt letter.

or did you mean 40% SC?

Hi Berta!

Ok, so your just as confused as I am :( 80% is my new rating up from 40% (entered prematurely I guess :) ).

Still working, even though pain by the end of the day is excruciating. I have been working for 2 years because I have to. It is a financial necessity to supplement our family income. Not sure how that will work out if I try to apply for TDIU. I guess they don't understand having to work from needing to work. If I get TDIU I won't have to work and would be able to avoid many physical problems that have increased from being on my feet all day.

I am hoping that this Debt letter is all a mistake. It wouldn't surprise me. I finished school when we were out in Buffalo NY for 2 years and they were always messed up....somehow something somewhere has messed something up.

The letter states "Due to a change in your C&P you were paid benefits you were not entitled to." "You owe $12,639.00 that will be recouped starting Sept 09". That's all it said regarding where this has come from.

It went on to say I can appeal the decision, request a waiver, or file for a hearing. I just don't understand how they can tell me I have to request all of this when I don't truly owe anything. The Debt Management says they don't know why they got it. VARO San Diego knows absolutely nothing, nor does VARO Buffalo....just haven't gotten a hold of the right person yet.

So now I'm waiting for this huge retro pay only to feel overwhelmed by this undue debt that came out of no where.

Hopefully I answered some of your questions and I truly appreciate your advice.