VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ss Payback By Govt Employee

Rate this question

jim n ok

Question

ok,i got my 70 percent and was told i should retire from my govt position by my civilian shrink. went to personnel and was told i need to payback my service time to ss while i was in military,,,,that's news to me. so i sent off to get my earnings and i earned $18,000 in 5 years total..wow. today i was told that with interest and penalties that i wil owe the govt..guess???? $18,000.

i have already paid 42 quarters through the years and was never told i owed ss any money.

i am retiring on a medical from the govt,why are they making me pay back more money than i earned in my military careeer? anyone know?

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

jim, why would you need to pay back SS? I'm not understanding this. Were you overpaid? As with any government overpayment you can request a hardship waiver. Who did you work for?

pr

ok,i got my 70 percent and was told i should retire from my govt position by my civilian shrink. went to personnel and was told i need to payback my service time to ss while i was in military,,,,that's news to me. so i sent off to get my earnings and i earned $18,000 in 5 years total..wow. today i was told that with interest and penalties that i wil owe the govt..guess???? $18,000.

i have already paid 42 quarters through the years and was never told i owed ss any money.

i am retiring on a medical from the govt,why are they making me pay back more money than i earned in my military careeer? anyone know?

they claim that i have to pay a deposit on my wages that i did not pay while in service to be able to count my service time towards retirement.but i'm being medically retired,not regular retirement.

It is optional to buy back your military time. I will only cost you 3% of the $18,000 plus interest since you didn't buy it back in the fist three years you were with the government. The benefit to you would be an increase in your retirement based on the total number of years. THIS IS OPTIONAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• HadIt.com Elder

I think it all depends onthe period of time in which you served in the military.

There is one period that thereis no penalty or offset for the military benefit.

J

I think it all depends onthe period of time in which you served in the military.

There is one period that thereis no penalty or offset for the military benefit.

J

[/quot

Are you civil service or FERS?