VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Please Help Explain These 2 Iris Responses

Rate this question

usmc1114

Question

I really wish I would have found this site prior to going for my C&P exam. Anyway, I have submitted 2 IRIS in the past few months and these are the two responses I have received. I am correct in that it is my understanding that my file is sitting in a pile waiting for a rater to review it? Any help in terms of the next step and about how long it could take from until I receive a decision would be greatly appreciated. My claim is being processed through the Detroit, MI location. Thanks!

1. Your claim was sent to the rating board on May 20, 2009. The results of your examinations were recorded on your claim and your claim was sent to the rating board.

2. We show that as of June 8, 2009 your claim is ready for a decision. We are unable to give you a timeline when the rater will review your file as we do not know their caseload.

• Answers 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Basically they said all they knew.

Have you obtained a copy of the actual C & P result from the VAMC where it was done?

You need to request C & Ps by mail through their records access officer.

The actual exam will show what you can expect.

Did you establish an inservice nexus or link to what you filed claim for?

Were you able to provide VA with all evuidence they requested in their VCAA letter to you?

Since there is no timeline that the VA must follow when processing claims...the only answer is "it depends".

Sounds like a rater has your file and will render a decision whenever he/she gets around to it, and that depends on case load which varies by VARO. Maybe fewer vets filing claims at your VARO (as compared to say, VA with a boatload of vets), but probably few ROs as well.

But, to put it in perspective. I filed new claims and for reconsideration on a couple of issues in Nov 2008. The rating decision was dated 2 April 2009. Then in uncharacteristic speed, they took only 2 months to reprocess the reconsideration of one of the issues from the Nov claim--the VA had ordered a QTC C&P exam, but I was never notified. A new C&P was scheduled for 11 May (some of that delay was at my request) and the rating decision was dated 4 June.

Hope that helps....

• HadIt.com Elder

I have heard that Detroid does not hold the speed record for decisions. However, who knows if you will be an exception. If they are ready to make a decision by June 8th 2009 then they are flying. Maybe your rating will come soon. Do you have a veteran's service organization working for you? They will often know before you get the letter. You might call them and find out what is happening. Do what Berta says also about the C&P exam. You can usually tell from the C&P what kind of rating you will get in a ballpark sort of way. Post your C&P on here (take out your name, SS# and private stuff and just post the facts) and we can probably take a good guess at how you did at the exam.

Just wait it out. If you start requesting things, then you add time. Everytime you add to your claim or request anything from your claim file it adds months to your time. Each time your file gets on a pile it takes time for it to reach the top. Depending on your VARO it can take weeks to a few months in each pile.

If you do not have a veterans organization handling your claim, you should probably use one. The DAV was helpful finding out the status of my claim and other issues.

Thank you all for the replies and great information. I did receive a copy of my exam and will paste a copy of final part of the report (impression, medical opinion, etc). I did use a service officer, but he was fired about a year ago. I will touch base with a couple that I know at the VA and see what they can find out for me.

formation consistent with mild degenerative changes of the tibiotalar joint. No other osseus abnormalities are identified.

Three-view of the left knee done on today's date show no significant osseus abnormalities. There is a 0-degree valgus attitude to the left knee.

Three-view of the lumbosacral spine show a mild right-sided thoracolumbar curvature with normal lumbar lordosis. No significant degenerative changes are noted throughout the lumbosacral spine. There is facet arthrosis noted at the L4- L5 level.

IMPRESSION: 1. Chronic low back strain with early age-related facet

arthrosis. 2. Chondromalacia patella left knee. 3. Left knee medial

meniscus tear. 4. Chronic Achilles tendonitis left ankle and posterior tibial tendon tendonitis.

MEDICAL OPINION: Based on the history obtained today by the veteran himself along with review of the veteran's C-file and objective physical and radiographic evidence reviewed on today's date, it is my opinion that the veteran's current low back condition and left knee condition and left ankle condition have documented onset while enlisted in active military service as described above. These are stable in nature with the exception of low back pain, which subjectively has been becoming more frequent with mild worsening. Also noted on radiographic imaging are age- related changes to the lumbar spine and possible underlying lumbar scoliosis. Therefore, it is my opinion that the veteran's current low back, left knee, and left ankle conditions are at least as likely as not due to injury sustained while in active military service. The exception of this is suspected medial meniscus tear on the left knee, which is different from military service- documented left knee pain, therefore it is felt to be a new condition arising after separation from military service.