July 2009 Roll Call

Tbird

• Admin

welcome to july brothers and sisters.

well june is over, it was a rough month. had a stay in the hospital at the beginning of the month. diagnosis ulcerative and ischemic colitis. i see the doc again this month, he took a ton of blood and is checking for other autoimmune diseases. i am still adjusting to this news, the va and military diagnosed me with ibs and that is the presumption i have been living under, but now it appears to me, i have probably had inflammatory bowel disease instead and there is some serious differences between the two. the va hospital diverted my ambulance to a civi hospital. this caused me a bit of a mess, i am working with fee basis to get it paid for, but they won't pay for the prescriptions. so i have an appointment with my primary care doc at the va to see if she will prescribe the meds and find out whether she will let me see the civi doc and approve fee basis or not. as you can imagine this is a very stressful situation for me.

at any rate the reason i relate this tale of woe is check with the va hospital you go to and find out specifically what the procedure is if the va diverts your ambulance, now i did call the emergency room before i called the ambulance, i described my symptoms and she basically told me that the hospital was on diversion and that if i felt like i needed to call an ambulance i could, but the va might not pay for it. i called the ambulance because i had been bleeding out my butt for hours and the pain was so severe i lost consciousness at least once. so sure enough the ambulance came and i requested to go to the va hospital, but i told them the emergency room had told me they were on diversion, they told me the va was not in the computer as a diverting so i asked them to please call the va hospital, because the nurse had told me they were on diversion and had no er rooms. so the ambulance driver called and sure enough she told them they were diverting so they took me a civi hospital. and they admitted me.

so after it was said and done i called fee basis and they told me a couple of things. they told me the va would only pay for the hospital stay until i was stabilized and that at the time i should have been transfered to the va hospital and that the day i was discharged which was about 7 at night that i should have taken my prescriptions to the emergency room and they probably would have filled them for me. but my point is, how was i suppose to know that. i never received any instructions from the va what to do in case of an emergency.

so please be sure to ask your primary care doc what you are suppose to do if you have an emergency and they divert your ambulance you know what the procedure is. it may save you some frustration and unneeded expenses.

i hope i haven't bored you and i hope you will not have any of these problems.

tbird

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Tbird, I pray that the VA will do right by you. All VAMC should help veterans with Fees so it won't make it a hardship for our veterans. God bless you my Veterans Friends

• HadIt.com Elder

I am here and starting to feel better about why things happen.

TBird don't fret over the VA and the stupid things that they do. They have to pay. Anyone who had your symptoms is considered an emergency by any credible Medical Authority.

I am still here and enjoying the post and learning. My wife decided to have tile counter tops in the kitchen and I must say she did a good job of picking out the tile and the contractor is doing an excellent job. This one is being done by a craftsman and they are beautifull. I hope you all have a good day.

• veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

• Advertisemnt

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines