VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

6 Month Wait For First Pcp Appointment?

Rate this topic

Dayton does this also. But I think it's to keep there stats up. If they put us on a "please call us in 5 months list" for an appt in 6 months....then it looks like they are getting vets appts in a 30-day window...........and their numbers are matching their goal.

It's their little game.

I don't even get regular appts with my PCP.

Right now I'm seeing my mental health doc every 30 days because they keep changing my meds.

• 2 years later...
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

An intake appointment at an outpatient clinic would be around 30-45 days. Intake appointments are hour long and clinics are only open 40 hrs a week. The intake clinics also treat all individuals that do not have an assigned PCP that walk in from another VISN. Specialty care does stay booked out because most of those doctors only work for the VA 2-3 days a week and work at their private office where they make much more income.

PCP appointments are on a reminder schedule. You do not have to wait for your reminder letter to schedule an appointment. If you have a concern, call the clerk and if they cannot schedule ask to talk to the nurse. The reminder letters are just set up because the doctor set up your consults to last that long and will need to renew them. You do not have to wait to schedule if you desire to see the doctor.

If the clerk or nurse cannot help you...talk to the patient advocate. You can also request a new doctor through the patient advocate.