VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Tdiu

Rate this question

KamiKappa B

Question

Just got the white envelope from the VA today. IU denied.

"Entitlement to individual employability is denied because the evidence does not show you are unable to secure or follow a substantially gainful occupation as a result of service-connected disabilities."

I guess these guys wanna see how many times they can deny me before I finally give up. Looks like I may have to enlist the help of the DAV this next go-around.

Kappa

• Answers 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Well, hell, if you are on SSDI soley because of SC conditions that is proof you cannot work. I believe the VA wants a letter saying after a careful review of your SMR's and current medical records I, doctor X, believe in my professional opinion Kami can't work. He is on SSDI for SC conditions and remains totally and permanently disabled from all work. They are jerking you around. I had a 70% rating for a mental condition and was on SSDI and I got denied for IU. I got an IMO doctor to say I was unemployable solely due to SC conditions. I got IU and then I had to fight again to get P&T.

In Pete's case if the VA knew he was on SSDI that should have triggered an inferred claim for IU as soon as the VA knew it. That is what the VBM says. Any information the VA gets that you are unemployable due to your SC condition should be ajudicated as a claim for IU. They are a bunch of swine.

To me my denial letter looks something like this,

Dear sir,

Just because you got SSD doesn't mean squat. You are a lazy ass and it will take more than someone as insignifigant as you to get even a penny more from us. As a matter of fact, we may need to recheck our records as we are pretty sure you are deceased and have been for some time and whatever monetary compensation you have been receiving will be owed back to us. Take that!

Sincerely,

The folks at the ole' VA

I think that if I got a letter like this from the VA I would say, "well, at least they're not b.s.'ing me." :D

Kappa

So, it looks like I may need and IMO?

Kappa

To me my denial letter looks something like this,

Dear sir,

Just because you got SSD doesn't mean squat. You are a lazy ass and it will take more than someone as insignifigant as you to get even a penny more from us. As a matter of fact, we may need to recheck our records as we are pretty sure you are deceased and have been for some time and whatever monetary compensation you have been receiving will be owed back to us. Take that!

Sincerely,

The folks at the ole' VA

I think that if I got a letter like this from the VA I would say, "well, at least they're not b.s.'ing me." :D

Kappa

So, it looks like I may need and IMO?

Kappa

i been on ssd since 2003 and tdui they denied me fast very fast..i fill ur pain i hope the best for you

I am 90 percent sc, receiving SSDI, and I have a NOD waiting for response from VA. I do believe if you receive SSDI, it has some weight to be considerd for IU. I went to a Lawyer to fight also due to my PTSD. The VA do some strange things sometimes when they know you have a good case for IU. I recommend finding a good Lawyer. Keep fighting, and good luck.

• HadIt.com Elder
Good afternoon all,

... Here a little history of my sc'd claims:

PTSD 0%

Lumbar sprain with scoliosis 10%

Bilateral pes planus 10%

Sinusiti/allergic rhinitis 10%

Bilateral inguinal lymphadenopathy 0%

Total: 30%

2006 (Submitted Request for Increase)

PTSD 30%

Lumbar sprain... 10%

Bilateral pes... 10%

Sinusitis... 10%

Bilateral inguinal... 0%

Total: 50%

2007 (Submitted NOD, TDIU, applied for SSD)

PTSD 50%

Lumbar sprain... 20%

Bilateral pes... 10%

Sinusitis... 10%

Bilateral inguinal... 0%

Total: 70%

SSD approved December 2007, TDIU Denied September 2008

6. Entitlement to individual unemployability.

Entitlement to individual unemployability is denied because the evidence does not show you are unable to secure or follow a substantially gainful occupation as a result of service connected disabilities.

On your VA Form 21-8940, you stated your service connected disabilities resulted in you release from employment as a recruiter for __________ in Temecula, California. In our letter dated May 2009, we informed you that even though we asked you former employer for employment verification, it was you r responsibility to see we received it. We received a response from The Work Number that provided your pay information but did not provide a reason for termination. (the company is not allowed to give out that imformation, even i could not get it). Your social security records were reviewed, yet they did show an inability to work due to service connected disabilities. (is that a typo or does it say that SSD shows that my sc'd disabilities prevent me from working?)

Your VA examinations in May and June 2009 do not support your contention that your service-connected disabilities prevent you from securing or following any substantially gainful occupation. (i disagree, the exams were rushed, and the one with my sinuses, the doctor looked at the CAT scan and said that it was a BIG problem that should have been treated a long time ago, and sent me to get a consult from my pri. care. to see him. He didn't even examine me.)

Generally, entitlement to individual unemployability is warranted when you have been found unable to secure or follow a substantially gainful occupation as a result of service connected disabilities aside from non service connected factors. A high rating in and of itself does not support entitlement to individual unemployability. The question is whether or not you are capable of performing the physical and mental acts required by employment (which I cannot), not whether you can find employment (right here it sounds like they are calling me stupid or lazy). Usually, the evidence must establish that your service connected conditions have precluded employment continuously since the date of incurrence or the date the conditions reached a static level of disability. Additionally, the effects of extraneous factors such as age, non-service connected conditions, intercurrent injuries, availability of work, or voluntary withdrawal from the labor market are not determing factors in whether you are unemployable solely by reason of service connected disability.

The law provides that individual unemployability may be granted where there is one disability evaluated as 60 percent disabling, or two or more disabilities, one of which is 40 percent with a combined evaluation of 70 percent or more (i think that this applies to me). These percentage standards are set aside only when the evidence clearly and factually shows the veteran has been rendered unemployable solely due to service connected disabilities regardless of their individual and combined percentages. Such cases are submitted to the Director of the Compensation and Pension Service for extra-schedular consideration only if the evidence shows you are unemployable due to service connected disabilities.

The current evidence does not show your service connected disabilities prevent all forms of gainful employment, therefore, entitlement to individual unemployability is denied.

Is there something I'm missing here? I'd like your advice here at hadit before or regarding the involvement of advocacy groups or attorneys. Thanks for your help.

Kappa

Sorry to hear about the VA, I U denial letter on your roll call post, just now. So, I spent some time reading many of your past posts and feel that you were mistreated by the VA. There is such a backlog at The VA, that it's quicker to deny than take the time to actually work the file. That is why your denial letter makes no sense. Do you still have an attorney? Have you filed your NOD?

I saw a congressional sub-committee hearing on C-Span a few months ago about TDIU. I'm sure your young age is a factor in the denial. The talking heads and experts were beguiling the committee members with theories about not authorizing IU to younger vets, who still have a chance at gainfull employment. What really happens in the real world is, a young IU worthy vet has to hit bottom for a decade and keep fighting the VA, until you win. My most positive thoughts are with you.

Edited by Commander Bob 92-93

This is what I did and i'm waiting for decision:

1. Appeal of course

2. google "psychiatric evaluations for disability for (your county)" and type in your city or county

3. call around to the different choices. Best are those that specialize in disability evaluations.

4. Ask how much it will cost. Mine was $800.

5. tell them why you need the evaluation (VA disability for unemployability)

6. Get them your VA medical records for the timeline of your claim. Doesn't have to be your whole C-file for IU. Just the timelime you're claiming for IU.

7. Mine took about 2 weeks to get the final report. You have time since it's an appeal.

8. DO IT NOW

frank

Sorry to hear about the VA, I U denial letter on your roll call post, just now. So, I spent some time reading many of your past posts and feel that you were mistreated by the VA. There is such a backlog at The VA, that it's quicker to deny than take the time to actually work the file. That is why your denial letter makes no sense. Do you still have an attorney? Have you filed your NOD? I saw a congressional sub-committee hearing on C-Span a few months ago about TDIU. I'm sure your young age is a factor in the denial. The talking heads and experts were beguiling the committee members with theories about not authorizing IU to younger vets, who still have a chance at gainfull employment. What really happens in the real world is, a young IU worthy vet has to hit bottom for a decade and keep fighting the VA, until you win. My most positive thoughts are with you.
Edited by WHOLESALE