VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd The Effects Or Rvn/drill Sergeant Duty/reruiting Duty

Rate this question

sgmdae

Question

I went from 18 year old boy to becoming a man and combat Veteran In RVN, where I had to lead, make decisions, that cause death to the enemy and brothers of my unit. At nineteen I become a Drill Sergeant that trained 95% to go to the War Zone.

At 21, I became a Army Recruiter that recruited primarily for RVN, I sold infantry, my recruits went to WAR. My assignments from 1966 to 1981, were highly stressful and intense. The three types of assignments were 101 ABN infantry, RVN, RVN, DS duty, Recruting duty and Drill Sergeant and again Recriting duty. Since my assignments my positions in Army and now as a civilian have seem meaningless. Whats your advice, I had many jobs, and move at the first opportunity. I find things wrong in the job and the people I work around

• Answers 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Sgmda, I know where you are coming from, I to was at FT Campbell for basic in 67 and wound up in vietnam. Its not a good place to grow up but we did become men at a young age. I know I am not the same person I was before I went. To many bad memories which never go away. If you haven't already filed for PTSD do it and hadit members will walk you thru the system and you can and will win. We were and still are veterans and buddies and that will never change. We are here to help. BTW thanks for your service, You could be the one who saved my butt. Thanks buddy.

Sgmda, I know where you are coming from, I to was at FT Campbell for basic in 67 and wound up in vietnam. Its not a good place to grow up but we did become men at a young age. I know I am not the same person I was before I went. To many bad memories which never go away. If you haven't already filed for PTSD do it and hadit members will walk you thru the system and you can and will win. We were and still are veterans and buddies and that will never change. We are here to help. BTW thanks for your service, You could be the one who saved my butt. Thanks buddy.

Carlie

I remeber dening God when Donald Green was killed. I remeber out loud saying there is no God, he would not let things like this happen. Madness and revenge entered my heart on that day. Prior a prayer, a child hood preacher and etc.

But I feel the PTSD, started beforing going RVN, waiting to Go RVN, because I was 17. I was at Ft Campbell, listening to the War Stories, listening to Awards being Read, funeral for dead Soldiers. When I went to Vietnam, I believe in the Spirit of the baynet, To Kill. Once I tasted sight of death, and effected me personally, I had a thirst to kill. I became anxious to get even

While you may have muliple stressor, it is good to focus on one. The death of Donald Green is something that can be verified. It is important that you would have seen the incident and not just heard of it. You need to narrow it down to within three months of when it occured. If you go to the Vet Center they will be able to get you in to the VA mental health system. Stay focused as best you can.

Thanks Trailblazer

Thats what it was all about, save your buddies on the right and left. It was amazung to me how we thought the replacements coming in were all mess up. What I didn't realize that I turned into a person, who clean his weapon, practice shotting, and couldn't wait until the next contact with the enemy. That what I like about Recon, we constantly looking, could wait to catch them and report it, or destroy it. I still get excited about it. Thanks for your service and advice

The death of a buddy can be verified by getting a print out from the Wall in DC, the Moving Wall, or even on line at the Wall site- much easier and less stressful for many RVN vets then being at the Wall itself.

They need the veteran's name, approximate date of death, Unit info and they ask for the deceased vet's hometown. There are often many deceased vets with the exact same names on the Wall so this detailed info helps them find the proper panel to direct you to.

The panels are intimidating if one tries to find a name without the help of the Wall employees, as they are not alphabetical or prepared in any order by date as far as I could determine.

We got panel numbers from the people at the Moving Wall here in NY and within minutes my husband found 2 of his buddies and did the pencil work (they give you the forms and pencils to show that this was done at the Wall (in DC or Moving Wall) and you can copy with the pencil the engraved names as they appear.

But I imagine the Virtual Wall on line might provide a better print out than the in person pencil rubbings.

The death of a unit member in Vietnam who you had personal contact with is certainly a major stressful event.

Gee I forgot to make my point-

Wall printouts can be submitted as evidence of a stressor to support a PTSD claim.

I just found a file with printouts from the Wall- we made copies to have on hand if VA said they didnt get them. When they awarded however- they never used them or mentioned them as my husband had many other stressors-I am not sure what they confirmed.

In many cases however this type of printout might be the only proof that a vet witnessed a buddy's death.

I was at DC when the Wall there was dedicated.

I never saw so many Vietnam veterans in one place in my whole life.

It was an experience both horrible and wonderful.

They determined that giving the panel searchers a Hometown would help find the panel by narrowing down many vets with same names -maybe even in the same units ---as a Nam buddy is someone whose hometown back here in the World is something most Vietnam vets would definitely remember.

Edited by Berta