VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd The Effects Or Rvn/drill Sergeant Duty/reruiting Duty

Rate this question

sgmdae

Question

I went from 18 year old boy to becoming a man and combat Veteran In RVN, where I had to lead, make decisions, that cause death to the enemy and brothers of my unit. At nineteen I become a Drill Sergeant that trained 95% to go to the War Zone.

At 21, I became a Army Recruiter that recruited primarily for RVN, I sold infantry, my recruits went to WAR. My assignments from 1966 to 1981, were highly stressful and intense. The three types of assignments were 101 ABN infantry, RVN, RVN, DS duty, Recruting duty and Drill Sergeant and again Recriting duty. Since my assignments my positions in Army and now as a civilian have seem meaningless. Whats your advice, I had many jobs, and move at the first opportunity. I find things wrong in the job and the people I work around

• Answers 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• Founder

welcome home brother, you are not alone.

from an emotional standpoint, i can't imagine the horror you went through and my heart aches for you, there is hope brother, things can get better, maybe not great, but better.

from an va claims standpoint. you must make your appointments, the ptsd claim must start with a diagnosis, i know the ptsd may be as plain on the nose on your face, but it still has to have a verifiable doctor's diagnosis. after you file your claim you will be called in for a compensation and pension exam by another doctor, perhaps two a pysch and medical doctor. here is a link to all the physicians examination worksheets that they are suppose to use when they examine you, there are 3 listed for ptsd initial, review, and mental. http://www.vba.va.gov/bln/21/Benefits/exams/index.htm here is a link to an article on compensation and pension exams http://www.hadit.com/thingstodoatcandp.html here's another link to veterans self help guide than many of our veterans find helpful http://www.hadit.com/veterans_self_help_guide.html when you have a moment go the hadit.com home page http://www.hadit.com/index.html and look down the right side of the page, there will be a long list of available articles, tools and references which you will find helpful

thank you for your service,

tbird

I went from 18 year old boy to becoming a man and combat Veteran In RVN, where I had to lead, make decisions, that cause death to the enemy and brothers of my unit. At nineteen I become a Drill Sergeant that trained 95% to go to the War Zone.

At 21, I became a Army Recruiter that recruited primarily for RVN, I sold infantry, my recruits went to WAR. My assignments from 1966 to 1981, were highly stressful and intense. The three types of assignments were 101 ABN infantry, RVN, RVN, DS duty, Recruting duty and Drill Sergeant and again Recriting duty. Since my assignments my positions in Army and now as a civilian have seem meaningless. Whats your advice, I had many jobs, and move at the first opportunity. I find things wrong in the job and the people I work around

Thanks

That is very helpful, and I will read each.

Should I go directly to mental health or wait for a referral

I have seen two doctor, two location and said I need to go to mental health, no appointment yet

• Founder

check with your primary care doc about a referral to mental health, and keep on them and keep checking. you must manage your care with the va. this is difficult, but you must do your best to stay on top of them, i can't stress this enough. you will face non returned phone calls, lost paperwork, wrong paperwork and a variety of other snafus, stay focused on your mission, and tackle the obstacles as you can.

I went to VA center today, he sat me down as a bunch of questions, about my background, it sounded like a check list to see if I had any indicators of PTSD. He said he could evaluate me, and it would take four sessions of 45 minutes a piece. It this good patch to getting some help, that most important, and second is it going get me rated. Tell me your thoughts and advice

• HadIt.com Elder

Actually it has little to do with a rating but much more with making you feel better.The Vet Center will not release info unless you ok it.