VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd Claim Deferred And Also Iu

Rate this question

NamVetWife

Question

OK I have posted this elsewhere but I am trying to get it straight what DH and I should do. June 2008 DH filed claim for increase on SC peptic ulcer disease plus etxras, also filed claim on PTSD (his Dr told him to do this) and also one on his lower back (he has documented back injury from Nam).

SC got increased to 60% which is wonderful. Back was denied as they said no connection between Nam injury and what is going on now (other Dr's disagree) the PTSD which had been diagnosed as severe repressed PTSD, put in program, on meds, monthly appointments - was deferred for more information. His GAF is 45. How much more do they want? The head of the PTSD Clinic is the one who diagnosed this, then this was seconded by the head shrink. Do they not believe their own doctors!

Then next in the awards letter came IU deferred - we had not submitted a claim for IU as we thought you had to have at least 70% to start with and prior to this DH was at 30%.

DH is really mad, he wants to go straight to congressman, I said from what I had read on here we needed to submit a NOD as the evidence from the 2 Dr's and his inclusion in the PTSD clinic and meds should have been a no brainer - but then we are dealing with the VA.

I did not mention this previously (in other posts) but DH took a really bad fall hit his head and has not been good at remembering things , C&P for PTSD referred to this - my thinking is that gave the window of opportunity to the VA and that is why they deferred. It doesn't change the fact that he has PTSD or that he is on the meds - he has it and it isn't going away by itself.

Another strange thing - we have used the local VSO to submit claims etc (personally I am unimpressed he hasn't seemed very helpful as far as I am concerned). In the awards letter it states that a copy has been sent to the Veterans of Foreigh Wars - have no idea why that was done we have never enlisted their help or even know anyone who is connected with them.

Any help would be appreciated.

• Answers 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Has he gotten a C & P exam for the PTSD claim yet?

Since the PTSD claim was deferred for more information- has he gotten a VCAA letter specifically for the PTSD claim yet?

His stressor also will have to be confirmed.

":The head of the PTSD Clinic is the one who diagnosed this, then this was seconded by the head shrink. Do they not believe their own doctors!"

This only confirms a diagnosis.

He will need proof of a stressor event as the nexus (inservice link)to his PTSD.

This is why the back claim was denied.He needs proof of an inservice event or accident etc that caused his current back problems.

Has he gotten a C & P exam for the PTSD claim yet?

Since the PTSD claim was deferred for more information- has he gotten a VCAA letter specifically for the PTSD claim yet?

His stressor also will have to be confirmed.

":The head of the PTSD Clinic is the one who diagnosed this, then this was seconded by the head shrink. Do they not believe their own doctors!"

This only confirms a diagnosis.

He will need proof of a stressor event as the nexus (inservice link)to his PTSD.

This is why the back claim was denied.He needs proof of an inservice event or accident etc that caused his current back problems.

Pete53, you and a lot of others on this site have a lot of knowledge about the va system and have helped a lot of veterans, Including me. I can't thank you all enough and I can never repay you. My hardrive (brain) just dosen't work the waw it used to. You will never know how many vets and their familes you have helped. Thanks and keep it up. Larry

• HadIt.com Elder

The "verifiable stressor" is why PTSD is the hardest mental claim to win. However, it is probably the only mental health claim that can be won 20 years after discharge if there is no in-service diagnosis or treatment for a mental disorder.

NamWife

Was your husband a combat vet and does he have CIB or PH or any combat award? if so then that is verification of the stressor, but he still needs to write a stressor letter. If he does not have combat awards you have to prove through documentation that he had a stressor. Somehow people have gotten the idea that PTSD is an easy claim to win even if you were not in a combat zone. This is not true even for Nam vets who were at bases that got hit with enemy fire, but who were not soldiers with combat MOS. There was no combat action badge like in Iraq, or Afghanistan for truck drivers whose convoy gets bombed or shot at by Taliban.

• HadIt.com Elder

Trailblazer:

Thank you for your kind words but Hadit is a group helping Veterans as best as they can. I feel that my place here is to try and offer support and encouragement. We have so many here who have trained and become experts. I can name over a dozen here and really if I had some time a couple of dozen Members who would be at the top of the class as far as SO's are concerned.

Most of my comments are made to get the real experts to cite the regs and how to put together a solid claim.

Remember that you have to be able to link a diagnosed condition to service with medical evidence and for many who file a claim after being out they have to show a nexus.

All the while remembering that you are actually in a war with the VA to work your claim.

Even the newest member has something to say. Helping someone on Board also helps many others who do not post.

John999 DH has PH , he is a combat vet. In the C&P for PTSD the Dr stated info about the "stressor". In his report he mentions the stressor and the impact of it on my husband.

Thanks for the input - I see what you mean about writing a stressor letter as well as it being documented in the other medical files