VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Tbi C&p Exam

Rate this question

Rizz19D

Question

Just wondering who out there has had this exam done and what to expect. I will be going to the Orlando, FL VA hospital. Sorry if this has already been posted, still trying to navigate this site, any help is appreciated!

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Good Luck on your C&P I have no experience on this type of exam except remember that its not a job interview don't dress up. If they ask about your life prior to service remember that most everyone had a crappy life as a kid so the best answer is that it was ok pretty much like everyone elses.Answer the questions as directly as you can. Use everyday language not Medical Terms to descrive symptoms

Don't sweat the exam to much in all likely hood it will be easier than you anticipate.

Don't lie or exaggerate

Edited by Pete53

This exam is extensive ( or it should be-there is a lot to it)

http://www.vba.va.gov/bln/21/Benefits/exams/disexm58.htm

because TBI can cause neurological, physical and emotional residuals.

Do you have an established nexus (link)to your service for the TBI such as IED, vehicle accident, traumatic fall, etc causing this closed head injury?

They have to rate residuals that are directly due to the TBI.

There are TBI cases at the BVA web site that show how they rate these residuals.

Thanks for your replies. I was looking over the link you posted and most of my symptoms fall in the moderate category, maybe a little more severe on the memory part though. I am rated for PTSD and Tinnitus right now, they denied my claim for depression though but I heard its hard to get rated for both PTSD and depression together anyways. Things have been getting worse over the past few months and I think the TBI might be an underlying cause for a lot of my other symptoms, I just didn't know much about it until I researched it

This exam is extensive ( or it should be-there is a lot to it)

http://www.vba.va.gov/bln/21/Benefits/exams/disexm58.htm

because TBI can cause neurological, physical and emotional residuals.

Do you have an established nexus (link)to your service for the TBI such as IED, vehicle accident, traumatic fall, etc causing this closed head injury?

They have to rate residuals that are directly due to the TBI.

There are TBI cases at the BVA web site that show how they rate these residuals.

Thank you Berta for posting the VA Website, I have a Neurological Test today and did not have a clue of what they were looking for, I think that it is for my migraines, I am trying to get it increase to 50%, it's a battle of words from the first evaluation. Thanks again.

Izzy

Berta,

Thanks for posting that link.

I had not gone over the new regs (Oct 2008) for the C&P examination of TBI.

I take great note in the requirements of the specific examiner.

I think this makes about the 4th or 5th C&P examination that places certain

limitations of the degree of speciality of the examiner.

Thanks again,

carlie

I had a Neuro psych exam for TBI both civilian and VA.  The civilian exam was several hours, pretty much a full day.  It was an IQ test with evaluation of memory and many other cognitive abilities.  Lots of listening to a psychologist speak words to you and then you repeat them or write them down.  Many drills like this.  Drawing a picture of a picture that was showed to you then taken away.

The VA exam I went to following the civilian one was very abbreviated.  Some of the same basic drills but much shorter.  Approximately 30 minutes compared to 7 hours for the civilian version.