VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Confusion And Short Term Memory

Rate this question

clw4514

Question

since for the last 20 yrs i just assumed i was bat shit crazy, i have not studied ptsd and all of its effects. i know that confusion can be one of the symptoms as well as short term memory issues. it seemed as long as i was working, i could blow it off when it happened. and now that i'm on my summer break from school, it seems to be worse. i have entire conversations that i cannot recall at all. i have to write down every single thing that needs to be done that day or u can pretty much assume it wont be done. i cannot even remember to take my pills when needed (3x day.) which reminds me, take pill now!!! im sure some of u deal with something similar. how do u cope with it? is there anything u can do to improve ur cognitive abilities or does it just go down hill from now? ive been lucky not to have overwhelming depression with this, well, at least not that i've noticed. then again, i waited 20 yrs to do anything about it B) but, now, with my brain screwing up, i'm getting depressed. when im around people, like group yesterday, i start crying instead of talking. its so frustrating. and i cant even tell u why im crying! makes me feel weak.

• Answers 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

• HadIt.com Elder
Although humorous... I think the cutting up is out of line in here. Is there no other forum for that sort of jokes? I am totally new to all ...

You really are a FNG at this, aren't you "Doc Sweels1"? Sometimes one has to laugh, or you really would go mad....

post-4811-1253891400_thumb.jpg

swells

For some of us, this forum is the only communication we have. I don't laugh often, but at times some of jokes, and stories make me laugh and fell better for those few minutes.

Swells, don't think for minutes that the Vets on this site, don't have your best interest in mind.

They are the greatest resource for any question you have.

I had a brain scan but I "forgot" what the results were. I scored below the 1st percentile on the cognitive (memory) tests for both short and long-term memory. The psychiatrist said my memory problems are associated with my severe depression since depression is affecting my concentration resulting in my problem to encode and store memory.

dh

is a brain scan required w/ a dx of ptsd? im afraid they wont find mine if i have one done. lol

I had a brain scan but I "forgot" what the results were. I scored below the 1st percentile on the cognitive (memory) tests for both short and long-term memory. The psychiatrist said my memory problems are associated with my severe depression since depression is affecting my concentration resulting in my problem to encode and store memory.

dh

You guys of course are right and I was just feeling very un-nerved when I read the first few posts. They said things I was feeling but had never told to anyone in 27 years not even my wife. I would like to apologise to any I may have upset. This PTSD really does strange things to my emotions. Finding out I am not alone has two effects on me. 1. It's great to know I am not the only one. 2. It's scary to think that I am not the only one. When I walked into my C&P I owned the world and nobody was going to get the better of me. Within 5 minutes I hate to admit it but, I was balling like a baby and used 1/2 a box of tissues. It kills me to think remembering something could cause me this much pain.Please accept my apologies.Doc

I also wanted to say that something that has helped me a lot is getting diagnosed with sleep apnea. Once I started using the CPAP machine it was like I stepped out of a fog. My short term memory is getting better and I am definately less confused and irritable. The main thing is my family (wife & daughter) actually seem to be happy to be around me more. I'm not cured by any stretch of the imagination. And I doubt it would help anyone that does not have sleep apnea. But I can see a blue sky and not focus on the dark cloud for the first time for as long as I can remember. I am hoping I'll get something for the sleep apnea too... Doc