VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Help !

Rate this question

gbennett

Question

I was denied my PTSD Claim today because they said I couldnt provide proof that I was on the USS Ogden LPD-5 in November and December 1969. We were evacuating the 3rd marines out of either vung tau or quaviet ( My spelling sucks and also my memory ) we were designated as the morgue ship. If anyone has any ideas on how to get the ships logs I would appreciate it. I heard the National Archives would be a good start or the Navy archives. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Gordon

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Guest jstacy

Only deck logs from commissioned Navy ships are permanently retained by the Naval Historical Center and the National Archives. A ship "in commission" is a Navy command in her own right; she has her own administrative identity, and originates records in her own name. Annual command histories, written under a program initiated by the Chief of Naval Operations in 1952, are included in the active records of the Naval Historical Center. Deck logs are also held by the Ships History Branch of the Naval Historical Center. After 30 years, Ships History Branch transfers the deck logs to the Modern Military Branch, National Archives and Records Administration, 8601 Adelphi Road, College Park, MD 20740-6001 [telephone (301) 837-3510].

Give these people a Call. They may be able to help you.

• In Memoriam

Go to the FOIA letter Generator and write a letter to the CNO. Mark that you would like to receive a call about the documents that you would like. Ask for the Command Logs in you FOIA letter.

Doris Lama (CNO-FOIA) should call you. She will suggest certain things that you may like. She will send these logs in about 3 to 4 weeks, in my case.

Command history of Your Ship. Also ships medical logs if available.

The ships logs will be for the whole year that you require. You will have to go through the logs to find your event. Ask for the complete year of 1969.

Doris Lama's assistant is Ms. Phyllis Shaw @ (202) 685-6530.

I did use the FOIA letter Generator, and it did work just fine. When ask for where to send your letter select, under Defense, -- Navy. Select yes you want a waiver. Write that it is in the Public Interest. Just take a little time and use the link below.

http://www.rcfp.org/foi_letter/generate.php

Edited by Stretch

Guest Berta

USS Ogden LPD-5 earned 9 Campaign stars during the Vietnam War

At this link it appears that you were in the WInter Spring campaign- 1969-1970

http://www.navsource.org/archives/10/0905.htm

The ship was in obvious support of armed forces in Vietnam-

There is a Reunion link there and it might help if you need to get a buddy statement-

there is a crew list here- but only Ogden crew members who posted their names at the list:

http://navysite.de/ships/lpd5.htm

You got great advise here as to ways to prove you were on the ship but

have you ever gotten your NAV 118 form? It is in personnel files of Marines and I assume same form for Navy too-

It can be obtained with a SF 180 attached-often shows destinations and arrivals by sea-but doesn't have them all sometimes-

By the way- maybe a good time to check the awards on your DD 214-

see if they are all there-

I will attach that form too (DD 149)

Edited by Berta