VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Help !

Rate this question

gbennett

Question

I was denied my PTSD Claim today because they said I couldnt provide proof that I was on the USS Ogden LPD-5 in November and December 1969. We were evacuating the 3rd marines out of either vung tau or quaviet ( My spelling sucks and also my memory ) we were designated as the morgue ship. If anyone has any ideas on how to get the ships logs I would appreciate it. I heard the National Archives would be a good start or the Navy archives. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Gordon

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Guest Berta

for some reason I cannot attach these files here today----

maybe due to high winds hitting my sattelite dish????

can email them to you if needed.

Guest Berta

"vung tau or quaviet "

It might help a lot to narrow this down to the port-

those names are not familiar to me at all--

Hope the attachment works-

it is the coast of Vietnam from a War Map and maybe those coastal areas and names in I Corps will

help determine where you actually were on board the ship?

or help find more info to prove what you did?

I'm certain it was Vung Tau.

I've been told to get a buddy letter from some of my old shipmates. Is this a standard form?

Would a regular letter or email be good enough ?

Thanks for the info about the Ship website Berta. I must have had a senior moment because I put my name on that list about 6 months ago. I'm sure glad you reminded me about that site.

Thanks to all for any help

Gordon

Guest Jim S.

Gordon: Your buddy statement should be written in the first party since. Only speeking of things he has seen/observed hinself as it related to your MV injuries. He can hand write it or type it out, it can be on plain paper or on the Statement In Support of Claim form. Once they have written out or typed, they should have it notorized as to it authenticity.

I would then take the form in person to the VARO and have them make the copy of it, and maintain the original for your files.

Observations may include but not limited to seeing you using crutches, painful exclamations, first had obervation of you taking medication for the pain and/or swelling. did he observe the leg when it was swollen, did he poke you like some people seem to do, thinking it is funny to see you flintch or exclaim out in pain? annd/or to the amount of time you were limited as to being able to ambulate about with some sort of assistance such as the crutches, cain,

As much information like this as they can truthfully attest to and try to keep everything based on your disability and not how well you were able to cope, unless that is shown to appear as a very difficult time for you by what they observed. Try to have them keep from writing anything that you may have told them, unless they can back it up with their own obervations.

That shoule give you a good buddy statement that can be used to support any finding your Dr may have observed and noted it in you medical records.

Jim S. :(