VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

What Kind Of Question Is That?

Rate this question

billy2

Question

I went for PTSD screening today and it went like everyone said it would except for one question that caught me off guard.

The person asked me "You must get a pretty good pension after spending 35 years in a civil service job"

I wanted to say its none of your f------ business but instead I said that I paid my dues working all those years and I expect to be compensated accordingly. I then said I paid my dues in Nam and thats' why I'm here today.

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

Billy2,

This is not unusual. Just because some of these people are lazy and dum, they think they have power and can say statements like they said to you. It is pitiful some of us worked like dogs all of our lives trying to cover-up our service connected disabilities and in fact making our behavioral health problems actually worse too. Those type of people have no scruples nor common sense, and could care only about themselves.

I thank you for your Nam service. I lost a cousin over there, Sp 4 Army in 1968. I will never forget him, nor how he died.

You paid your dues plus, you deserve treatment from the government you served. By the way your answer to that dimwit was eloquent! B)

Billy2,

This is not unusual. Just because some of these people are lazy and dum, they think they have power and can say statements like they said to you. It is pitiful some of us worked like dogs all of our lives trying to cover-up our service connected disabilities and in fact making our behavioral health problems actually worse too. Those type of people have no scruples nor common sense, and could care only about themselves.

I thank you for your Nam service. I lost a cousin over there, Sp 4 Army in 1968. I will never forget him, nor how he died.

You paid your dues plus, you deserve treatment from the government you served. By the way your answer to that dimwit was eloquent! B)

Halos,

She also said thats was a long time to hold one job,35 years. I said it was the Post Office and I would have to kill someone to get fired and that fact that I was a vet also helped. I then replied that I had a wife and 3 kids and it was my responsibility to care for them. I may not have been the best husband or father but I took care of my family. Thats the way my parents raised me. When I first saw the screnner who was overweight by 40 pounds and had dirty hair I said to myself that she should be sitting where I am and I should be the one with the notepad. I was fortunate enough to work in the PO which is as screwed up as the service and they were happy that you just showed up for work which was half the battle. The other half was in your head.

Thanks

Bill

• HadIt.com Elder

Holding a single job for 35 years will go against a higher rating for PTSD. Not being able to maintain steady employment is a symptom for a higher rating. Doesn't kill a claim, and if it's been a few years since you retired it may not even stop you from gaining a higher rating. Just putting info out there for the masses.

• HadIt.com Elder

I put in 20 years in federal civil service. My pension is tiny after taxes and deductions for medical insurance. I and others I know got IU after retiring. I retired on disability, but would have worked longer and I would have probably filed for IU after that because I was on permanent limited duty from SC conditions, and suffering every day. I could not get a job as a dog catcher. No one would hire me because of workers compensation history and SC disability. When I retired on disability at age 51 I knew I was done. I had to get IU and SSDI just to survive. My pension would not feed a cat. I was under FERS.