VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

What Kind Of Question Is That?

Rate this question

billy2

Question

I went for PTSD screening today and it went like everyone said it would except for one question that caught me off guard.

The person asked me "You must get a pretty good pension after spending 35 years in a civil service job"

I wanted to say its none of your f------ business but instead I said that I paid my dues working all those years and I expect to be compensated accordingly. I then said I paid my dues in Nam and thats' why I'm here today.

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

John,

A Nam friend of mine told me that I have a year to apply for civil service disability retirement even if a retired under the regular retirement. I didn't apply for disability retirement because I need a check once a month and couldn't wait for months without anything. I get 50% for AO related issues and I have CAD and hypertension claim which was recently rejected. The battle continues.

Bill

• HadIt.com Elder

Billy

You can still get IU. You want to work after retirement,but you can't because of your condition. If they ask just say that you need to work due to tiny federal pension and you are unable to return to work due to increased disability from your SC conditions. I assume you are under 70 years old, so you have many potential work years ahead, but you can't because you are too sick. I see old geezers at my grocery store bagging and I wish I could do it. So just because we retire does not mean we don't change our minds and then are unable to return to work because of SC conditions. My big moment of the day is feeding the ducks at the park with my wife. I can't do much else physical. Like you I wish I could but because of chronic pain disorder I can't. I see doctors all the time searching for help and get kicked to the curb. I wanted to work and get treated like a dog. I bet you feel the same way.

Continue work, doesn't mean healthy mental health. I return from RVN, in 1969, stayed in Army 23 years, taught high school for 9 years. Stay in a uniform for 31 years. I knew that thought process was different, and that I look at thinks different. I could go through the obstacles, and problems I had, but I think you all know. My points is, I had to set the example, I couldn't show weakness. in my mind I was respresenting all Veterans, and we need another RVN Veteran being Classified. It wasn't until the last six month, that I had a incident that made me believe I need help. When you feel the greatest point of your life was when you pull a trigger, that solve the problem, it times to ask for help and why you feel like that. When someone makes you feel that you should plan their end of life, because pulling a trigger solves problems, it time to get help and find why you go from smiles to a war thirst look, and tremble when you thinkmof the person is in your way. I ask to leave the area, and Thank god, they moves a 1000 miles away. Is that far enough????

• HadIt.com Elder
Continue work, doesn't mean healthy mental health.

I agree wholeheartedly, but 38 CFR 4 says differently, and any vet who thinks that common sense will prevail over the VA's regs is sadly mistaken.

• HadIt.com Elder

Sometimes we have to make hard decisions and no one wants to live on disability if they can work. No one I see here anyway.