VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Hypertensive Vascular Disease

Rate this question

Rhodesia

Question

Hello I have a rating for my HBP claim which the VA gave me 0 percent for service connected. it was a long fight to get this far say about 3 years. it has been more than a year now so what is the best approch to file for an increase for this condiction? I have been on medication for this condition since 2004 and received my rating in 2007. I noticed that the VA rating for 7101 Hypertensive Vascular Disease does not have a 0 percent listed this is what I was placed under for service connected. Thank for any help

• Answers 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Well let me tell you what I was told at the C&P exam......they said (VA) that since I have HBP while on active duty "I Did Not Seek Treatment For HBP, so Therefore My Service Connected Claim Is Therefore denied" that was my first denial back in 2004 right after I retired from the military. on March of 2006 I received a recall letter from the Defence Dept. and I was to report back to active duty from retirement. well after the physical at MEPS I was denied active service due to having Varicose veins and HBP. This letter was signed from the chief surgen after I requested a wavier which was also denied so I will never see active duty again. These were given to the VA as evidence to suport my claim but again the VA stated I Did Not Seek medical attention while on active duty so therefore AGAIN my claim was denied a second time. So I handed all of my SMR to the outpatient VA doctor that I see as an outpatient and he wrote his findings and I resent back to the DRO and 8 months later I received 0 percent.

What is it with the VA that if you have a valed service connected claim and they see that you did not seek medical attention for it It never happened?

• HadIt.com Elder

I believe they do it on purpose to see if a Vet will become so upset that they stroke out.

Get your readings. If t hey are predominatly 100 for the bottom line then you can NOD the decision and get soem retro.

If you can, let me know what they have been over the past year.

J

Basically.........yes. If it's not in your SMRs; the VA isn't going to take your word that you had HBP during your active duty time without hard medical evidence. I don't say that to be mean...it's just the way it is.

May I ask how you knew you had HBP during your active duty time? And why you didn't seek medical attention for it?

Rhodesia,

Thank you for your post, because the responses you have received have helped me. I have reviewed my c-file and found 8 smrs where my diastolic was over 90, and even a hypertension check where BPs were taken 5 days in a row. I have been on blood pressure medication for a long time now, the Va has known about it, but no one bothered to tell me I could file for HTN service-connected. I am afraid that this may impact my current appeal, but the appeal takes longer than a new claim, or so I've heard.

But I have a question on ky34's post. Are the BP readings that count only while on medication? If so, then I only qualify at 10%, but if not then I qualify at a much higher percentage.

Louis

Bonzai,

I am not sure but I have read ask for what fits your condition and let the VA discount it which would be 60%. I have had readings higher but since I have been on medication it has been in that range. I plan to present the evidence along with the rating that fits.

Also i dont understand what seeking treatment has to do with anything. If on active duty and it was high is it not the doctors job to treat it. I had high readings on AD and in the reserves and no one ever did anything but say come back we need to take it again.

Edited by kw34

Hey Man good luck I had Hypertensin in service took me forever to get the VA to apply their rules to my case. I am SC for Migraines Hypertensive heart disease and I am having some circulation problems in my feet but I do not know how to file that one? LOL. I get pissed sometimes but my advice is to never give up if you do the VA wins and you end up beat up kicked to the Curb. I only put in claims that I can tie medically to the my condition. I see some people at the VA that walk in and they really need the help but are like me not sure where they should go. I wish that the local veterans affairs office would help out more than they do. I do my part when I can you hang in there and hopefully you can learn some things from others on the board. There is a wealth of infromation on this forum. If I can help shoot me a message. Have a good day....