VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Hypertensive Vascular Disease

Rate this question

Rhodesia

Question

Hello I have a rating for my HBP claim which the VA gave me 0 percent for service connected. it was a long fight to get this far say about 3 years. it has been more than a year now so what is the best approch to file for an increase for this condiction? I have been on medication for this condition since 2004 and received my rating in 2007. I noticed that the VA rating for 7101 Hypertensive Vascular Disease does not have a 0 percent listed this is what I was placed under for service connected. Thank for any help

• Answers 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I think if you look up the regs, it is symptoms, not treatment of a disability while in military service. One of the reasons for this is that there is little/no treatment for some diseases/disabilitites. For example, how do you "treat" having only one kidney? How would you "treat" having only one arm?

It really sounds like they are trying to pull one off on you. You have to have symptoms to recieve compensation. The treatment, and/or its effectiveness thereof, is dependent on doctors orders. If your condition is asymptomatic, often you dont get compensation. Dont think for a minute that the Va always follows its regs, most of the time they do what they want to deny you, and you have to call them on reg violations.

For example, the higher courts, CAVC and above, pretty much stay with the legal issues. They pretty much wont change a judgement call by a rating representative, unless there is a legal basis to do so. So, those cases in the CAVC, the federal court, or the supreme court are pretty much all about the RO violating regulations.

I personally, have a hearing loss. The VA does not treat it. There pretty much is no treatment for my type of hearing loss. Oh, yes, they do provide hearing aids, but that does nothing to treat my hearing loss, it merely makes it a little easier for me to adjust. I still have hearing loss with or without hearing aids. In my case, my compensation is based on my un aided hearing loss, not how well I hear with hearing aids. IDK if HBP is rated with or without meds but do remember this:

If you are SC for HBP even at zero percent, and you are on meds for this and your medication has a side effect of other problems, such as ED, you can ask for compensation for ED secondary to HBP. So dont forget about those secondary conditions, sometimes they amount to more than the original condition.

An example of this, suppose you complain to your doctor that you have symptoms of sleep apnea. He may decide to treat you for it, or he may just decide to wait and see if it gets better without treatment, or he could even fail to make a diagnosis of sleep apnea, for example, he may have not been trained in sleep apnea. This is his call, not yours. You could well have sleep apnea, and he decided not to treat it. Does that mean you will be denied SC for sleep apnea because the doctor wouldnt do anything about it? The docs plan of treatment, or lack of one, is not your fault, and it could well get worse after the military.

Edited by broncovet

I am 0% service-connected for Hypertensive Vascular Disease because I had high blood pressure readings during the presumptive period after I left active duty. When I went for a C&P exam for my back, I had my blood pressure through the roof and the C&P doc diagnosed it in her examination. Although it is 0%, should help me to secondary connect any heart conditions in the future! Good luck!!!

ok since the VA has prescribed me medication for HBP for ED for the past 4 years how does one file for a secondary claim? I never knew you could do this and I'm suprise that they did not see this when they gave me 0 percent for HBP? due to the fact that they can see all the medications for HBP to include for ED :angry:

If you are SC for HBP even at zero percent, and you are on meds for this and your medication has a side effect of other problems, such as ED, you can ask for compensation for ED secondary to HBP. So dont forget about those secondary conditions, sometimes they amount to more than the original condition.

I think if you look up the regs, it is symptoms, not treatment of a disability while in military service. One of the reasons for this is that there is little/no treatment for some diseases/disabilitites. For example, how do you "treat" having only one kidney? How would you "treat" having only one arm?

It really sounds like they are trying to pull one off on you. You have to have symptoms to recieve compensation. The treatment, and/or its effectiveness thereof, is dependent on doctors orders. If your condition is asymptomatic, often you dont get compensation. Dont think for a minute that the Va always follows its regs, most of the time they do what they want to deny you, and you have to call them on reg violations.

For example, the higher courts, CAVC and above, pretty much stay with the legal issues. They pretty much wont change a judgement call by a rating representative, unless there is a legal basis to do so. So, those cases in the CAVC, the federal court, or the supreme court are pretty much all about the RO violating regulations.

I personally, have a hearing loss. The VA does not treat it. There pretty much is no treatment for my type of hearing loss. Oh, yes, they do provide hearing aids, but that does nothing to treat my hearing loss, it merely makes it a little easier for me to adjust. I still have hearing loss with or without hearing aids. In my case, my compensation is based on my un aided hearing loss, not how well I hear with hearing aids. IDK if HBP is rated with or without meds but do remember this:

An example of this, suppose you complain to your doctor that you have symptoms of sleep apnea. He may decide to treat you for it, or he may just decide to wait and see if it gets better without treatment, or he could even fail to make a diagnosis of sleep apnea, for example, he may have not been trained in sleep apnea. This is his call, not yours. You could well have sleep apnea, and he decided not to treat it. Does that mean you will be denied SC for sleep apnea because the doctor wouldnt do anything about it? The docs plan of treatment, or lack of one, is not your fault, and it could well get worse after the military.

Rhodesia

File a request for SMC based on ED using form 21-4138. I would ask that the EED be set to when the VA began treating your ED.

Also, any rateable complication of a SC disability can be SC'd as secondary to the SC condition and thus compensated. Like anything else, you have to connect the dots for the RO to folllow and show that the secondary condition was caused by the SC'd disability.

Hello, thanks for the reply back everyone that did hope you all have a safe holiday. as for this topic I requested a service conected increase for HBP from 0 percent to a higher increase. The outpatiet VA doctor increase my medications do to having a hard time controling HBP. Well I just finished a C&P exam for an increase and I really felt that the VA Doctors that work in C&P work against you and not for you, and the VA doctors that work in outpatient work for you but to make this topic short I really felt that the C&P exam was a waste of time, mostly do to the fact that the Doctor kept wanting to know why did I wait until I retired from the marines to file a service conected claim for HBP and why the marines did not treat me while on active duty? I really don't know why, also he kept on about he had never heard of a veteran getting a 0 percent for HBP. But after grilling me instead of looking at the whole picture in the end he did tell me that I do deserve an increase for HBP. I don't think I was in his office for more that 20 minutes, and the exam was over. So I wait to see if I was granted an increase or not it has been 4 weeks since the exam. Funny thing it took me 4 years just to get 0 percent for HBP. :huh:

:) well bad news for me for my C&P exam, the regional office said that since I work for the VA I can not be seen at the VA hospital where I work for any service connected related issues. The regional office stated that "It is a conflict of intrest" so my current C&P exam is no longer valed and I will be given a new appointment at the nearest VA Hospital. Also I can not been seen as an outpatient for any service connected injuries, stated the same thing again so I can be seen as an outpatient but it can not be service connected, (Non Service Connected). what is the VA coming too? :)