VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C-file

Rate this question

jadill42

Question

how do I retrieve my C-files from the R/O? Is there a specified procedure to follow? I am new at this forum and would like to obtain any information that I can.

I have been fighting with the VA now for a number of years and have just been recognized as having some of the problems that I have claimed in the past. Thanks for the help.

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

you posted another question that I replied to. Please be very careful, your claim is pending reconsideration. You can request a copy of your C-file from VA at any time but because your file is pending a decision. Requesting a copy of your file could delay your decision. You can visit the regional office and ask to review your C-file which they would locate and allow you to review it and return it the same day to the same place but if you request a copy of it. It has to leave the rating area and go to the release of information office to wait its turn to be copied then return to the rating area. To get it copied could take several weeks or longer then it goes back to be rated and may be placed on the bottom of the pile

Edited by pacmanx1

You need to fill out a VA Form 21-4138 Statement in Support of Claim requesting a copy of your c-file, and either deliver it or mail it certified to your Regional Office.

Oooops, already answered by Pete992 and jbasser. :angry:

I believe you are only able to get a 'free' full copy once, but you can get updates on a yearly basis. If you have to get a new one, then they may (read probably) charge you 8 cents a page or more. Which is not an option for me, because my file is fairly thick (800 pages) but there are many others here will files much larger than mine. I am lucky and my lawyer had his secretary scan all the documents into an electronic copy, and I got both the hard copy and a CD of my c-file.

Hope this helps,

Louis

• HadIt.com Elder

You can go to the VARO in person and review your C File without disturbing your claim. You can also get copies of pertinent info when you review. At my VARO in Waco you can walk in and do this but many of the VARO's require a request in writing and give appointments