VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Imo Terms

Rate this question

blackbird

Question

I finally got my IMO from the neurosurgeon that worked on my back. I gave him clear instructions on using the phrases "more that likely" or "as likely as not". When the person typed the letter, she quoted the doctor as saying "it seems to me that it is very likely that the pathology for which I operated on he incurred in this lifting incident while he was deployed in Egypt". He also stated that "there is no question in my mind that there is a direct casual relationship between the injury he sustained in Egypt and the necessity he had for an L4 and L5 diskectomy and sebsequent fusion".

My question: Will the above be okay or do I need to get the IMO retyped to state "more that likely" or as likely as not"?

Thank you in advance for your reply!!!

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

I think what he wrote could be "reasonably construed" to mean "at least as likely as not". However, you cant be assured a government worker would see it that way, so better is to use the exact words, "at least as likely as not" because the VA is not good at connecting the dots. Is it too late to call the doctor and ask him to use those words? If not, by all means eliminate doubt in your mind by having him write it up the VA way.

"it SEEMS to me that it is very likely" is like saying

"it is POSSIBLE to me that it is very likely."

If it is, IT IS. if it's not, IT'S NOT. They just need to just say it.

Doctor made a great point at the end though regarding the DIRECT CAUSAL RELATIONSHIP."

It will be really hard for the VA to get around that one. Direct causal relationship is even better than the doctor saying "is most likely." Pretty much a direct statement which is GREAT for your claim.

frank

I finally got my IMO from the neurosurgeon that worked on my back. I gave him clear instructions on using the phrases "more that likely" or "as likely as not". When the person typed the letter, she quoted the doctor as saying "it seems to me that it is very likely that the pathology for which I operated on he incurred in this lifting incident while he was deployed in Egypt". He also stated that "there is no question in my mind that there is a direct casual relationship between the injury he sustained in Egypt and the necessity he had for an L4 and L5 diskectomy and sebsequent fusion".

My question: Will the above be okay or do I need to get the IMO retyped to state "more that likely" or as likely as not"?

Thank you in advance for your reply!!!

Edited by WHOLESALE

"it SEEMS to me that it is very likely" is like saying

"it is POSSIBLE to me that it is very likely."

If it is, IT IS. if it's not, IT'S NOT. They just need to just say it.

Doctor made a great point at the end though regarding the DIRECT CAUSAL RELATIONSHIP."

It will be really hard for the VA to get around that one. Direct causal relationship is even better than the doctor saying "is most likely." Pretty much a direct statement which is GREAT for your claim.

frank

Hey vets,

I got the doctor to change the wording to read "It is more than likely the pathology for which I operated on he incurred in his lifting incident when he was deployed in Egypt. Therefore it is more likely that it is related to his military service".

Hope this will be more effextive.

Blackbird

Hey that's great and fast work,

I would submit both reports.

Frank

Hey vets,

I got the doctor to change the wording to read "It is more than likely the pathology for which I operated on he incurred in his lifting incident when he was deployed in Egypt. Therefore it is more likely that it is related to his military service".

Blackbird

Hey vets,

Blackbird

In my opinion the VA will respond with a negative rating decision that will say

something to the effect of "what lifting incident".

jmho,

carlie