VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Received My Decision Today, But Have A Question...

Rate this question

usmc1114

Question

Hello! I just returned from a short vacation and in the pile of mail was my decision for the initial claim. The claim for my left ankle, left knee and lower back. I received 10% for ankle, 10% for back, but the knee was deferred. What exactly does that mean? Was I denied SC for the knee or is it going to be review by another dept? I'm new to this whole thing, so any and all help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

It's been deferred, meaning they'll make a decision on it later. They may need a C&P exam on it. May need more records to link it to SC. Just make sure they follow up on it.

pr

Edited by Philip Rogers

It's been deferred, meaning they'll make a decision on it later. They may need a C&P exam on it. May need more records to link it to SC. Just make sure they follow up on it.

pr

I had one C&P Exam, maybe they want a more detailed for the knee. This claim was initially filed Jan 28, 2008 and that is what they used as the effective date of this decision. Will they use the same date once they make a decision on the knee? Thanks!

• HadIt.com Elder

Good Luck on your claim. It will be finished and PR gave you good advice.

• HadIt.com Elder

They should use the same claim date.

pr

I had one C&P Exam, maybe they want a more detailed for the knee. This claim was initially filed Jan 28, 2008 and that is what they used as the effective date of this decision. Will they use the same date once they make a decision on the knee? Thanks!

They should use the same claim date.

pr

Do you think they deferred the decision on the left knee because of the typo in the doctor's C&P Exam? His report read "Regarding the left knee, once again during this same incident in 1988 he had a twisting type injury, and also with a reinjury in 1991 during physical therapy-type exercise. Essentially he has had chronic knee pain since approximately 1990 or 1991. On review of the veteran's C- file this is documented as a chronic left knee pain onset during December of 1981. He has been given the diagnosis of chronic chondromalacia patella without evidence of significant injury on the C-file. His current complaints including continuation of throbbing type sensations located to the anterior aspect of the knee, peripatellar region, with a more recent onset of posterior medial joint line pain, increasing with deep flexion, without history of new or recent injury. He does state that his knee feels like it gives out on him occasionally." In December of 1981 I would have been 12 years old. My Medical Records for the Marine Corps states "Left knee becomes painful and swollen since Dec 91".

This is an obvious typo. My question is do I a) wait for the folks handling the deferred C&P or should I do an IRIS and submit this same information that I posted here or c) contact the VFW rep that helped with my claim or d) sit tight?