VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ratings Of The Spine

Rate this question

bigoc

Question

I have recently received an x-ray report that shows injury to the spine in the Cervical, Thoracic, and lumbar.  I am currently rated at 20% for my neck based on a cervical MRI.  The injury is from a parachute accident(service connected).   I did seek medical help in service which is documented(how I got my cervical rating).  I do not have any limit in the range of motion, just pain.  I do not understand how they rate the spine.  I will list my x-ray report. 

Any idea of what kind of rating I should expect and insist on based on the x-ray, pain, and little if any loss of range of motion?

1. Cervical Spine:  Reversal of cervical lordosis, spondylitic changes.  Clinical correlation recommended(whatever this means)
  2. Thoracic Spine:  Levoscoliosis.
  3. Lumbar Spine:  Straightening of lordosis. OA at L4-L5 and L5-S1 

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I think it is range of motin, but Rentalguy knows the facts and he will chime in I am sure. If you have chronic pain disorder that is rated as an emotional disorder.

• HadIt.com Elder

I have recently received an x-ray report that shows injury to the spine in the Cervical, Thoracic, and lumbar. I am currently rated at 20% for my neck based on a cervical MRI. The injury is from a parachute accident(service connected). I did seek medical help in service which is documented(how I got my cervical rating). I do not have any limit in the range of motion, just pain. I do not understand how they rate the spine. I will list my x-ray report.

Any idea of what kind of rating I should expect and insist on based on the x-ray, pain, and little if any loss of range of motion?

1. Cervical Spine: Reversal of cervical lordosis, spondylitic changes. Clinical correlation recommended(whatever this means)
  2. Thoracic Spine: Levoscoliosis.
  3. Lumbar Spine: Straightening of lordosis. OA at L4-L5 and L5-S1

1: cervical lordosis is the curvature of the bones in the neck.

Reversed means it has transgressed the oppisite of what it should be.

You have arthritic changes compared to another exam. Clinical correlation is asking another clinician their view on your condition.

2: levo scolosis: spine is bending left or right not forward or back.

3> The curvature of the back is straightened,

The Va will rate on Range of motion. Know your ranges and compare it to the regs.

J

Edited by jbasser

• HadIt.com Elder

based on range of motion, or on incapacitating episodes (dr prescribed bed rest) if rated for intervertabral disc syndrome (IVDS). Spondylitic changes is IVDS. In layman's terms it is arhritic changes of the vertebrea.

I was always wondered what the VA rated me for with my neck injury.  I do not have any loss of range of motion or incapacitating episodes.  I do however have several levels of diminished disk hight and narrowing of the spinal column per an MRI reading.  I guess this is what I am rated on.  It seems that they will throw a rating your way if you have some kind of diagnostic testing that shows an injury.  It is not always found in the rating criteria unless I am missing this one.  Thanks for the insight.