VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Sexual Addiction

Rate this question

elliottme2

Question

• Answers 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I am going to request a copy of my full medical records. I have the copy that I made before I got out but it did not include a copy of the inpatient records which are keep at the inpatient counseling center. I was told by a DAV rep to wait until I get a decision about my pes planus and back injury which I was told is past the rater and in the last stage of a decision. I'm not sure how long it will before I find out an answer. Can anyone answer why if I filed for four issues they only scheduled C&P exams for 2 of them. How come VA is telling me more accurate information than my DAV rep?

When trying to get a condition that you were treated in the military for service connected there is always the problem that the military did not feel the condition was either sufficiently chronic or sufficiently disabling at the time of your discharge to rate the disability. In effect you are fighting a determination that the claim has already been denied.

With this in mind you will need to show that you have a current condition that causes disruption of social and employment functioning. If the condition was not considered chronic in the military then you will need to establish a nexus between your current condition and the in service condition.

You need to get your SMR and have a doctor review it to see if a link between the symptoms in the military can be linked to many current condition. The VA might schedule a C&P exam. However, they do not always do this.

• HadIt.com Elder

How does the VA treat other addictions? You have to show some other fact besides addiction I think. You cannot get SC for alcohol addiction or drug addiction, but you can get SC for some of the results of these addictions like physical breakdown of organs. Many people who are manic overdo it in the sex area and have multiple partners and seem out of control (because they are). Being bi-polar could account for so-called sex addiction. I don't think sex addiction itself will get you SC. Being OCD or manic will get you there. You need a doctor to show that the sex addiction is a symptom of some mental disorder the VA accepts as compensable. The VA would probably slam a Personaility disorder diagnosis on sex addiction unless you have other related problems.

Thank You for your reply. I do remember when I was in treament that the doctors labeled in my records that my sexual addiction was an obsessive compulsive disorder. I have not been seen by a doctor for this particular problem since that time but I have gone to a/a classes. Do I need to make an appointment for a Va shrink so I can get them to review my records.

How does the VA treat other addictions? You have to show some other fact besides addiction I think. You cannot get SC for alcohol addiction or drug addiction, but you can get SC for some of the results of these addictions like physical breakdown of organs. Many people who are manic overdo it in the sex area and have multiple partners and seem out of control (because they are). Being bi-polar could account for so-called sex addiction. I don't think sex addiction itself will get you SC. Being OCD or manic will get you there. You need a doctor to show that the sex addiction is a symptom of some mental disorder the VA accepts as compensable. The VA would probably slam a Personaility disorder diagnosis on sex addiction unless you have other related problems.

• HadIt.com Elder

No, you need to file a claim.

Then, they'll schedule you for an exam.

• HadIt.com Elder

File the claim! That is the only way you will get compensation. The VA shrinks will talk you to death but never advance your claim for compensation. I think from what you say you do have a good claim. The OCD is the claim and the sex addiction is a symptom. You probably have other symptoms as well.