VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Dic

red

Question

I have 100% p&t, close to 70 years old and have passed the 10 year mark. Could anyone tell me what I need to do now,just in case I pass away before my wife does, to make certain she get's DIC.

She has had numerous strokes and is incapacitated, would not be able to file. Should I have a special folder that instructions for someone on what to do if I die before my wife. If so, what should be placed in the folder. Any help would be appreciated.

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Make a will. Add this to the responsibility of the executor of your estate to file the DIC per your instructions in the folder.

if you have children, appoint one of them to do this as they will have an interest in caring for their mother.

Hope this helps.

J

I have 100% p&t, close to 70 years old and have passed the 10 year mark. Could anyone tell me what I need to do now,just in case I pass away before my wife does, to make certain she get's DIC.

She has had numerous strokes and is incapacitated, would not be able to file. Should I have a special folder that instructions for someone on what to do if I die before my wife. If so, what should be placed in the folder. Any help would be appreciated.

red,

Google funeral homes and check out their web sites.

They have great list of "things needed and how to prepare for" on line.

carlie

A littl off topic but you can apply for additional compensation based housebound for your wife. No form necessary, just send in medical evidence. Once she file for DIC she can apply for aide and attendence benefits.

Edited by sharon

Thanks to all. Also, a special thanks to you Pete. You are a great guy. She just fell and broke her nose, messed up her beautiful face, no stitches, thank goodness. Her balance is terrible, she has broken her shoulder, her knee, her hand, and the worse, her hip which was replaced and we just found out it is going to have to be replaced again. I wish I could do it for her.

Anyway, I have place instructions for my son upon my death to call the state va and they should be able to walk him thru it. I have also placed in folder along with my will and other papers to make it easy on my family, a va form 21-526 which i think has to be completed. Of course, this form is very difficult, as allva forms seem to be. If anyone can add anything, please do. AND THANKS AGAIN. By the way, I am not planning on going soon, ha, but who knows. I just want to make certain she is taken care of.

It is form 21-534 Red.

I commend you for thinking ahead like this.

Sharon is right -the wife might very well be able to get the A & A benefit if you die-in addition to her DIC.

If you pay bills on line -it is good idea to let someone have a list of your on line passwords for these bills and for any web sites you would want to know of your death.

Then again -you are still Young!

I think we have topic somewhere here on preparing for death.

A will usually involves getting a health care proxy too.