VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Results Of Ptsd C & P Not Satisfactory

Rate this question

Notorious Kelly

Question

My PTSD C & P was 2 weeks ago.

I got a copy of it and the examiner said that the impact of PTSD on my life was mild and my problems are more likely than not related to personality problems.

I'm preparing a response to deliver to the VRO on Monday. Here's one of my comments:

" Many people go to therapists for years seeking help to deal with their problems.

I don't believe that a psychiatric examiner should make concrete decisions about an individual's mental status based on a 45-minute evaluation.

This gives undue weight to individual questions which might be answered differently if rephrased."

I'm addressing each item that I disagree with from the statement and submitting additional evidence that I just received.

Any other advice?

Thanks! ;)

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

I would carry more weight if you got you doctor to comment on the examination in you favor.

• HadIt.com Elder

Yup. Sharon is right. You're not going anywhere, butting heads with "their" "expert". You see, you are not "qualified".

You must find someone that is "qualified". And, you must get this so-called qualified expert of yours to, in essence, override their expert.

You, my friend, need an independent medical opinion, an IMO, or, even better, an independent medical examination, an IME.

If you have "treatment records" concerning your past treatment, and they would be favorable to your claim, then by all means include them, also.

And, especially if your treatment has been on-going through your VA Med Center, and, EVEN BETTER, if you can get your treating VA person to make "good" statements.

But, you are spinning your wheels with just you, butting heads with the VA bueracrappacy.

I'm preparing a response to deliver to the VRO on Monday. Here's one of my comments:

" Many people go to therapists for years seeking help to deal with their problems.

I don't believe that a psychiatric examiner should make concrete decisions about an individual's mental status based on a 45-minute evaluation.

Kelly,

It's fine for us laypeople to write down things like above,

read it over a few times - and then wad it up and throw it away.

I do know how you feel, lots of times - VA sucks.

I feel it is best to keep personal opinion and feeling out of the paperwork.

Sometimes in a rating decision, VA will respond to things like your comments

about like this,

Although the veteran made statements of XXX,XXX,XXX, no weight can be afforded

to this opinion as the veteran is not competent to provide a medical opinion.

It would be worded a bit different but have about the same meaning.

So actually all it ends up being is more ink on the paper to muddy the waters.

Hang in there.

carlie

• HadIt.com Elder

x

x

x

If you are seeking service-connection for PTSD, and the examiner has conceded that yes, you have PTSD but it's mild --then you still have a probable basis for service-connection. Does your C&P Exam list the order of your diagnoses:

Axis 1 PTSD

Axis 2 rule out personality d/o

Axis 3 Medical problems

Axis 4 Social Functioning

Axis 5 Employment

GAF %

And so on and so forth. Your answer would be helpful. PS I may have the Axis in the wrong order. ~Wings

Kelly, i'm not trying to step on your toes but telling the VA their evaluations aren't long enough is like telling them they take too long on deciding claims. Ain't gonna help your situation. Just do like was suggested from the elders and get an IMO.

I see the examiner also used that dreaded personality relation. That's a killer and concedes the likelyhood you will need an IMO.

Frank

My PTSD C & P was 2 weeks ago.

I got a copy of it and the examiner said that the impact of PTSD on my life was mild and my problems are more likely than not related to personality problems.

This gives undue weight to individual questions which might be answered differently if rephrased."

I'm addressing each item that I disagree with from the statement and submitting additional evidence that I just received.

Any other advice?

Thanks! ;)

Thanks for the advice, gang.

My primary goal is unemployability from physical injuries; just doing the PTSD first cuz it's ready and may get a lil sumthin.

I am using existing records and the collateral letter from my sister. I have plenty of evidence that meets the DSM IV criteria and have already included that. The evaluator says it's all personality problems; my sister's letter says my personality changed drastically After the stressor.

Axis I: PTSD Axis II: Mixed personality disorder with schizoid & paranoid traits Axis III: see medical records Axis IV: Current psychological stressors: Occupational, financial Axis V: Current GAF: 55 overall GAF related to PTSD: 65