VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd Exam...alcohol And Ocd Not Connected

Rate this question

Draggin'

Question

Hi all

I am applying for C&P. I have already been diagnosed with PTSD, major depression and alcohol dependance through my local VA outpatient psychiatry, with a GAF of 45. I went in for what I thought was a C&P exam for PTSD...only to have the examiner say it was for my sleep problems (nightmares, etc.). He did the full PTSD exam though (MMPI, etc). I guess this is necessary for sleep disorders??? He said that the PTSD info would be included on his report, even though this was not a scheduled C&P PTSD exam.

I just got my records and they say this...

Axis I - 1. PTSD (claimed sleep problems are considered part of this diagnosis)

2. Alcohol dependence

Axis II - OCD with some antisocial traits

Axis III - Multiple orthopedic problems, chronic pain, eye probelms, headaches, hearing loss, tinnitus, thyroid (all of these are in for claims/exams also)

Axis IV - Chronic health problems, marital discord

Axis V - GAF: 55-60

The MMPI-II test was interpretable although my f-scale t score was high at 83. He said I have PTSD, combat related as likely as not. But he said that the alcohol use and OCD were totally separate. That my PTSD only accounts for 30% of my new GAF.

Will they consider both GAF scores...and both diagnosis by the different psychiatrists? Each GAF score is recent. The alcohol use is DEFINATELY aggravated by the PTSD (can't sleep, need to escape). Is it possible that some of the OCD is related to the Army and the need to follow orders/direction precisely because it's a life or death situation. (I was a Cav Scout)

We're about to submit stressor letter (this Monday) and letters from my mother, wife, etc. Should my mother mention that I was not particular at all about things before I went to Iraq? The fact that I NEVER got into trouble and hardly drank before all of this was not taken into consideration also.

Just wondering what this all means and if there's anything else we can do over the next few days....or just wait for appeal time. We do have our VSO looking over the letters Monday as well. We're trying to get it all in ASAP before all of the other exams are done and results sent to VBA. Any ideas on percentage I could be expecting on the PTSD alone?

Thanks

Draggin'

• Answers 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

If you have a purple heart,cib,or any medal that you received for being in combat,VA will schedule you for a C&P, if not,you wil have to have a inservice stressor that been vertify, before a C&P is schedule.

when va give out two GAF,most of time,it is one for PTSD and one for alcohol.VA might be trying to say you had a Alcohol dependence ,before your military service instead of saying that you use alcohol to medicate your PTSD and if that the case,it will knock down your rating.

I am helping this Vietnam veteran that was given Two GAFs at C&P,50 for Alcohol dependence and 65 for PTSD and he got a rating of 10%.VA said he was dependent on alcohol before his military service.

mobie16r

UPDATE

Well, it's been a while!

I sent in my stressor information and 6+ months later, to my surprise, they scheduled a C&P exam for PTSD alone.

During this time I was rated at 50% for other issues, not covering PTSD, Sleep Disorder, and a couple of other issues that are believed to be related to PTSD.

I have been seeing and speaking with Mental Health during this entire time and reporting all problems (which my doc assures me he is reporting as well). So I'm sure my GAF scores are plentiful and will help my case.

Anyway, I go to this exam. Some things have changed because I'm on medication, which I told the C&P examiner, and he told me not to worry about that. He seemed to check a LOT off on his paperwork for issues I am having.

A few days later, me and the wife venture back to Dallas to see the C&P report is in our records. It is and he found that I do have PTSD...nothing else was mentioned as it had been before.

Different doctor BTW, I am relieved.

We also heard from an OEF/OIF social worker from the VA, that they have 30 days to determine the claim now that the PTSD Exam is complete.

Will post what this doctor said when info is in front of me-will also update afterwards as to what percentage I received.

Thank you all for your advice and support concerning this, you have been very helpful.

(Now to another post concerning the fact that for over a year now they have not been paying for my common-law wife and dependent stepchildren. Ah)

Draggin

• HadIt.com Elder

You will get the money for your dependents. I have a suggestion though. Don't depend on the VSO you mentioned in other post get after it yourself.

During this time I was rated at 50% for other issues, not covering PTSD, Sleep Disorder, and a couple of other issues that are believed to be related to PTSD.

We also heard from an OEF/OIF social worker from the VA, that they have 30 days to determine the claim now that the PTSD Exam is complete.

(Now to another post concerning the fact that for over a year now they have not been paying for my common-law wife and dependent stepchildren. Ah)

Draggin

Draggin,

Congrats on the 50 % SC.

I would not at all count on a 30 day time limit that you have been told about.

Additional dependent compensation for common-law wife and dependent stepchildren

might be problematic.

jmho,

carlie

BTW we are not using the VSO as we were before...it was doing us no good. We're staying on top of it ourselves.

We're keeping our fingers crossed, but not holding our breath-not ready to pass out just yet!

Thanks

Draggin'

The PTSD claim is currently at the review board...we'll see what happens. Time is moving slow. They said our PTSD claim is "top priority" and comes before other things (like proving I'm married-see other post of mine.)

Wish it was 30 days, it's been over a year since we originally sent our packet in.

Draggin'