VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Intervertrbral Disc Syndrome?

Rate this question

blackbird

Question

Hello fellow vets,

I'm supposed to be having a second c&p exam soon for Degen. Disc Disease. Since being disgnosed in 1996 I often have flare-ups of severe pain that may last from 3 to 7 days each episode, caused by inflamation to a damaged nerve. When these happen I have to go to bed and take pain meds, usually dilaudid, to get any relief until the damaged nerve settles down. Over the past year I have been in bed with this problem between 8 to 12 weeks, combined, taking the meds that the surgeon prescribed for these flare-ups.

My question#1 Can anyone tell me if the examiner, after hearing the above, is the one that changes the code to Intervertebral Disc Syn. or do I have to request to be rated that way? I have searched but haven't been able to answer this.

#2 If he does change the code to IDS, would the five cervical disc surgeries I've had since 2001 to fuse 5 discs come into the rating since they are from Degen. Disc Disease? The cervical problems started 5 years after the initial injury to my back that started the DDD.

Thanks for your help!

blackbird

• Answers 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Blackbird,

I apologize if it sounded as if I was degrading NG service. My posting was not meant too. I was just trying to explain how the VA will treat it from the point of nexus.

I was in the Reserves myself for a bit after I ets'd from active duty.

The National Guard and Reserves are honorable ways to serve, and have been a vital part of National Defense starting with the Revolution.

And I believe you deserve your VA benefits.

The problem is not your duty status at the time of your injury. Though it does make a difference. It is that you have to prove the injury actually occured.. that is your problem. I would try to get buddy letters from anyone you talked to in your unit. Did you complain about it or mention it to anyone after it happened? I understand nobody saw it happen, but did you mention it, even in passing to anyone? It will help your case..

I am trying to be helpful with this, and just want you to be as ready as you can for this.

Hopefully the DAV rep is right.

I have been searching the BVA decisions as well. I will post anything I find that is helpful.

Blackbird,

I apologize if it sounded as if I was degrading NG service. My posting was not meant too. I was just trying to explain how the VA will treat it from the point of nexus.

I was in the Reserves myself for a bit after I ets'd from active duty.

The National Guard and Reserves are honorable ways to serve, and have been a vital part of National Defense starting with the Revolution.

And I believe you deserve your VA benefits.

The problem is not your duty status at the time of your injury. Though it does make a difference. It is that you have to prove the injury actually occured.. that is your problem. I would try to get buddy letters from anyone you talked to in your unit. Did you complain about it or mention it to anyone after it happened? I understand nobody saw it happen, but did you mention it, even in passing to anyone? It will help your case..

I am trying to be helpful with this, and just want you to be as ready as you can for this.

Hopefully the DAV rep is right.

I have been searching the BVA decisions as well. I will post anything I find that is helpful.

Airborne18,

I didn't think you were degrading the Guard. What I was frustrated about was the VA making a big difference in the rule for SC based on wheither you're active or reserve. I can remember being given orders to fly half way around the world for duty, on the same plane with active members, and work with them on the ground, but the VA maintains that doesn't mean the have the same benefits?

Anyway, I'm sorry if it appeared I was getting on your case about it, just needed to vent.

When you and Berta asked if I ever mentioned this to friends or family it jogged my memory. I remembered two phone calls I had made to my SMSGT at home from Egypt concerning the missing manuals. Durning the second call he remembers me telling him that "I had looked through most of the boxes, but pulling on one made my back hurt so I stopped looking". He said he also remembers telling me to look through the boxes to start with. He is writing all this up and is going to have it notarized and send it to me asap.

Hope this will make a difference.

Blackbird

He said that I said :rolleyes: . This is still your personal account of the incident. You didn't tell anyone that was there with you? What does your records from the civilian doctor say as to when the injury ocurred. It should have a detailed account as to how your disc was herinated. Did this arise at any time during your discharge process? You need some concrete proof.