VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Diabetes Mellitus 2 And S/c

Rate this question

dclayton57

Question

• Answers 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Is there any evidence you had DMII in the military?

Did you serve incountry Vietnam?

Did you serve in Korea ? if so-where and when?

If DMII did not appear in your SMRs (for direct SC)the VA will only SC DMII as a presumptive condition if you were directly exposed to Agent Orange.

All incountry Vietnam Vets are presumed as exposed.

Korean Vets who served from April to August 1968 or May to July 1969 on a 151 mile swath on the southside of the civilian control line at the DMZ and whose units have been identified by DOD as being exposed to the spraying (mostly Army Units - I posted the list here before-available under a search)

are all presumed to have been exposed to AO.

VA will grant and has awarded AO comp for disabilities on the AO disability list to vets who served in Guam, Okinawa, Thailand and Alaska. These vets had to prove they were directly exposed to AO.

Your SMRs might be symptomatic for DMII.

I had diabetes vet who claimed direct SC and whose SMRs contained nothing regarding diabetes diagnosis.

W proved SC for diabetes.

I just won my claim proving my husband had DMII yet the word DMII or diabetes never once appears in any of his med recs or on his autopsy.

Diabetes has so many symptoms that can be narrowed down to being the only possible etiology for the symptoms-that even if the diagnosis was never made in service- and isnt AO presumptive-and the vet is willing to do the leg work (or better yet- get an IMO)this disease can often be service connected.

If you did serve in Korea during that time frame-what was your unit?

If DMII did not appear in your SMRs (for direct SC)the VA will only SC DMII as a presumptive condition if you were directly exposed to Agent Orange.

Korean Vets who served from April to August 1968 or May to July 1969 on a 151 mile swath on the southside of the civilian control line at the DMZ and whose units have been identified by DOD as being exposed to the spraying (mostly Army Units - I posted the list here before-available under a search)

VA will grant and has awarded AO comp for disabilities on the AO disability list to vets who served in Guam, Okinawa, Thailand and Alaska. These vets had to prove they were directly exposed to AO.

I had diabetes vet who claimed direct SC and whose SMRs contained nothing regarding diabetes diagnosis.

I just won my claim proving my husband had DMII yet the word DMII or diabetes never once appears in any of his med recs or on his autopsy.

Diabetes has so many symptoms that can be narrowed down to being the only possible etiology for the symptoms-that even if the diagnosis was never made in service- and isnt AO presumptive-and the vet is willing to do the leg work (or better yet- get an IMO)this disease can often be service connected.

No to all of the above. Normal blood sugar levels during time in service. :rolleyes:

Berta,

I just got a notice from the DAV unofficial letter that told me that service connection for diabetes mellitus was not service connected, and they are correct. What I failed to do is review closer what the DAV Service Officer put down on the paper. My fault. Like you said, "If DMII did not appear in your SMRs (for direct SC)the VA will only SC DMII as a presumptive condition if you were directly exposed to Agent Orange." I was clearly exposed to AO, but just wasted about one year because I did not pay attention. BTW, Thanks for all your advise.

Papa

Since you were in the AF you have to proof that you had "foots on the ground" or that you handled AO.

• HadIt.com Elder

Papa

If you set foot in Vietnam you are presumbed to be exposed to AO. Were you at an Airbase in Vietnam?