VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Special Consideration

Rate this question

bigoc

Question

I have found information on disable veterans being able to apply to federal jobs after the application process has already closed or to get a non-competitive appointment.

Anyone have any experience or information on this?

I understand the the point system advantage, this is something completely different. 

• Answers 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Federal jobs seem to require security background checks, since i have been diagnosed with PTSD and am taking paxil will that hinder my chances of getting a federal job? I have not been diagnosed with depression, the bottle says mood/ anxiety.

Sorry guys for just chiming back in a few days ago I posted that I just needed a foot int he door.

Wellt o answer the last question posed to me. i have a 4 year college degree. My military background enlisted for 12 years officer for 8.5. as an Officer i have have been a PL, Battalion S-4 and Battery(Company) Commander. civilian experience = Brokerage Trader, brokerage operations, project management, design process owner. and banking expirence. the sad fact is all the jobs on USA Jobs, pretty much state for somebody looking fro a GS-5 or above job, you havre to have a masters degree. Which is sad as most young kids coming out fo college have an advanced degree.

I did find a job at the local VA and the VSO I work with said he would call the hiring manager and tell them i was the person for the job, but we shall see. the bad thing is I have to fill out the optional application and SF-15 and print and mail a copy of my degree transcript and dd-214, etc....this job says :Applications will be accepted from current and former competitive service Federal employees, and people eligible under special hiring authorities. question how do you become eligible for special hiring conditions?

Matt

I would agree with that but add, there are background checks and then there are back ground checks. It really has a lot to do with you being truthful and also the job you are applying for. You gonna be carrying the football or filing reports. that matters.

In general they get so many requests for checks you will in all likelihood be fine. Paxil, I can't seethat influencing your decision making nor can you be coerced by something like that. Think about it, I got you, your taking paxil for your service to your country. nobody in their right mind would hook you up for that.

Sorry guys for just chiming back in a few days ago I posted that I just needed a foot int he door.

Wellt o answer the last question posed to me. i have a 4 year college degree. My military background enlisted for 12 years officer for 8.5. as an Officer i have have been a PL, Battalion S-4 and Battery(Company) Commander. civilian experience = Brokerage Trader, brokerage operations, project management, design process owner. and banking expirence. the sad fact is all the jobs on USA Jobs, pretty much state for somebody looking fro a GS-5 or above job, you havre to have a masters degree. Which is sad as most young kids coming out fo college have an advanced degree.

I did find a job at the local VA and the VSO I work with said he would call the hiring manager and tell them i was the person for the job, but we shall see. the bad thing is I have to fill out the optional application and SF-15 and print and mail a copy of my degree transcript and dd-214, etc....this job says :Applications will be accepted from current and former competitive service Federal employees, and people eligible under special hiring authorities. question how do you become eligible for special hiring conditions?

Matt

Matt, you is a many splenedered thing! Dog gone you have a background that I don't see how in the world you would settle for a GS-5! I don't know the full story but here is what I do know. Most government jobs are open for hire through the competitive service=those that already are in can apply, all others keep on walking, nothing to see here.

special hiring authorities means the job can be filled by the hiring agency, that is not by the usual office of personnel management. this allows the person that interviews you to hire you, rather than only open to the haves and going through the usual beauracracy. that is how I got in.

Post Graduate degrees. It has been so long for me but they used KSA's when I was in which covered that discrepancy, the ability to do a thing, rather than having read about it in a book. I wished i had your background and was writing the knowledge, skills, abilities for that. Now you must be willing to move and apply till you think you are ganna go blind but you will meet the right job/interviewer and get your foot in the door. Once in, shine, then you are on your way.

I did fine with an undergrad degree but that was 20 years ago. But you should be management material, as your background indicates. I never really had that ability but you do and should capatalize on that. don't defeat yourself with negative thinking.

anyway to answer your question special hiring authorities as they used it, means they can hire you, or anybody not in the competetive service. For example dependents overseas were hire under that program/authority. That was the only way I got in when applying in Germany.

Again my military service was meaning less other than on a personal level. It may help you get promoted just because you click with your supervisor, but a real bureaucrat only wants to keep their head down, not be noticed, and nothing is personal, aside from their personal advancement, and our government is replete with that.

If you are thinking they mean special consideration I think you are mistaaken. what you did, by finding someone on the inside, connecting, then get a start like that is a good move. i have no idea what the series is or the track but at least you are in.

Anybody else that has a different take on the special hiring authority please jump in.

If someone is seeing a VA psychologist/psychiatrist may well be of assistance getting a person in.

• HadIt.com Elder

The secret is to get hired into any job at a VAMC and once you have a job you can apply for the job you want and be on the fast track. Its usually pretty easy to get one of the low paying VA jobs.

I am speaking from just word of mouth cause I have known several who have done this.