VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Special Consideration

Rate this question

bigoc

Question

I have found information on disable veterans being able to apply to federal jobs after the application process has already closed or to get a non-competitive appointment.

Anyone have any experience or information on this?

I understand the the point system advantage, this is something completely different. 

• Answers 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Cannoncocker,

Thanks for the expanded comment. I feel a little better about applying for the position. Actuallyt he position is a GS-12 Administrative Officer(AO). so we shall see. They still use the KSA's from what I have seen on the USA JOBS board. Thanks again your post has really peeped me up before a long holiday weekend.

Matt

Matt,

If you look at the USA job descriptions, no one would qualify. Put in for the job as like Cannon said you should not settle for a GS-5 job. Is your degree a business degree? Apply Apply and Apply, and let them tell you that you do not qualify, you do not make that decision.

Chris, if they disqualified Veterans for taking meds for things like PTSD, none of us would work for the government. It is a long process to get a security clearance.

Papa

Matt,

If you look at the USA job descriptions, no one would qualify. Put in for the job as like Cannon said you should not settle for a GS-5 job. Is your degree a business degree? Apply Apply and Apply, and let them tell you that you do not qualify, you do not make that decision.

Chris, if they disqualified Veterans for taking meds for things like PTSD, none of us would work for the government. It is a long process to get a security clearance.

Papa

Papa is again on the mark. If taking anti deppresion medication disaqualified folks from federal employment dc would look like a ghost town. Some clerance checks are just run the license and look for any current warrants and if you had done time. I got one for working at Blue Cross Blue Shield and it was nothing, just a fed. requirement. As a nuclear weapons chief they went deeper and the form was extensive, but they never really followed it to the end. The rest of my fed jobs just wanted to know if I was currently wanted by the fuzz. On the other hand my brother, in Germany worked for the Frankfurt Milcom and he put down that he had never done time. During the pot witch hunts of 1970 vintage, That was not quite true. But still time, so out the door he went.

Moral: tell the truth because they can look on a computer in seconds to see the obvious. They can't tell what you did in the basement with a few buddies. Still it depends what the clearance is for. My advise, tell the truth and apply. If you have a problem it is better to know now than have to pack your bags later. My brother now makes 75,000 a year working from home, With a home office allowance, so their ......

Alright,

so i applied for a VA job, overnighted my stuff to the hr person and had my VSO make a call to them. said he did(well that can not be verified) hopefully something comes of it. I can only pray. The closing date was yesterday and they received my package that mornng. Seems the only jobs i apply for are usually hired from within. Hopefully the call from my vso who said he calle din a favor comes thru.

Matt

Good Luck Matt, but please do not limit your opportunities to this one job. Do you have your resume set up in the USA job site and the Army has their own. Actually, in the USA job site you can set up a job alert that will send you jobs that you may qualify for.

Papa