VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Special Consideration

Rate this question

bigoc

Question

I have found information on disable veterans being able to apply to federal jobs after the application process has already closed or to get a non-competitive appointment.

Anyone have any experience or information on this?

I understand the the point system advantage, this is something completely different. 

• Answers 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Papa is again exactly right!. Don't let all your hopes ride on one job. It is clear you have alot invested in this and god know if you don't deserve this one who does, and I'd pretty much say something like that if it gets to an interview. but the game is play by quantity. that may not be reasonable, make sense, etc. but that is just how it is. I got a job in Germany with the govvernment and I was behind dependents, so believe when i tell you I know what you are feeling.

You can win this battle, hopefully this particular one, but somewhere, somehow it will be your turn. the combination of things will come together and bang you are in. we already told you the formula to win. the rest is on you. You may not like that formula but whe don't make the rules!

Everybody is rooting for a guy like you, well qualified, wants to work....

Good luck on this one.

PS It is like going to Vegas and say "I am going to get rich" but i will only roll the dice one time and if that doesn't do it I will just go home and never try agsin.

Edited by cannoncocker

Matt,

Are you mobile? If you are that will expand your job opportunities. Here in Texas there are over 1600 jobs, in VA over 2500 jobs, etc.

Papa

Here in Dayton, OH it is pretty near impossible to get a govy job at Wright-Patterson AFB unless you know someone. I have been an analyst contractor for a few years on base, and have two bachelor's degrees, and all I have to show for it is one interview in five years of applying. (and the interview was a sham at best, a waste of mine and the interviewer's time) They know who they want to hire, and they just go through the motions to appease the powers that be. I have been 100% qualified for analyst jobs when applying and submitting KSAs, and then a week later the job is closed and reopens with some bizarre skillset they are looking for. I'm sure it is somehting they are hoping only their preferred candidate has. People keep telling me how I should be a lock for some of these jobs as a 40% disabled veteran. I just haven't seen it yet.

Even in the private sector it helps to know someone. That is just part of life as fustrating as it is. Just don't give up.

Papa

whelp the closing date of the VA job has come and went a week and a half ago, no call fromt he VA except to set up my colonoscopy......go frigin figure that one........so yes i get screwed again by the VA, this time literatelly.....lol(BTW that is not a joke, the appt is for real)

Matt

Matt,

Have you been to this web site? http://www.usajobs.opm.gov/ ? This will list all government jobs. Let them tell you that you do not qualify for a certain job, you don't determine that. Being mobile also helps. But, do not give up. Make sure that you have your resume in the OPM database, and the Army Database, and apply for at least enough jobs each day until you can not apply any more.

Papa